Best thing to use for weight up front in a Lund

Coastalguy

Cadet
I have a 1997 Lund SV-14 14' Aluminum with a 20" transom, 25 Hp Johnson.
tiller steered. With me at the tiller and another person up front even someone
as light as 100 lbs it tracks through the water great, 25 mph at sea level.
But if I want to go out alone it does not really purpoise but takes a bit to
get on plane and it's too light up front. I have played with the trim and have
moved the gas tank as far forward as the hose will permit.
My question whats the best thing to use for weight up front that will stay put and not scrape up the boat inside?
I've tried a 52 qt igloo cooler full of water but that's kind of inconvenient as far as placement on the rounded floor and filling and draining while out alone. I think I need about 75 lbs or so.
Any ideas or experiences from you experts would be appreciated.

Thank you Coastalguy

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best thing to use for weight up front in a Lund

How about a trolling motor battery, or adding both? that will equal about 100 pounds

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You have just described the perfect application for a hydrofoil! Why add unnecessary weight and affect your fuel economy or top speed? Or encumber the limited space in your boat.

There are many variations for sale. I personally prefer a Doelfin because of its size and design. Best 30 bucks I ever spent.

I have a 14" tinny with 25HP tiller as well. My trim setting is set for me alone. I can add 1, 2 or 3 extra people in the boat with me without having to change the trim. Before the fin, I had to adjust every time I changed the no. of passengers.

Others will chime in with warnings of all kinds of problems you will encounter, like losing speed or harming your motor. With your rig, just ain't so. You'll solve your problem with no adverse effects.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Get a longer gas hose adn extend your battery leads, I had a 14 and ran the gas clear in the front, the pump will pull it no problem or get a foil as Jim said.

I have run one for years and my transom and engine mount are fine.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I have a similar setup on my 14' Lowe and had the same problem. I added a bow-mount troller and big (group 31) battery to the front. I also keep the spare gas tank and anchor up there.

My starting battery is a small lawnmower unit that works fine but only weighs 5 or 6 pounds. It and the main gas tank stay at the rear of the boat.
With this arrangement I have great F to R balance and don't need a hydrofoil.

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Coastalguy...

Agree with 5150 and everyone else on weight distribution. I'm not so sure about the hydrofoil approach. Read lots of pros and cons, but don't have the experience to make a judgment.

I recently got a SeaArk 14 footer with a Honda 15hp, 4-stroke on the back. With the motor trimmed all the way in and me, the battery, and gas tank in the back it porpoised better than anything you ever saw at Sea World !!

I moved the gas tank (only 3 gallons) and the battery (small one) to a little platform in the bow. A quick tip here.... DON'T GO TO THE LOCAL MARINE SUPPLY STORE FOR PARTS!! Go to the local auto supply store and get regular 5/16 fuel line and a set of battery booster cables, heavy duty, about 12 to 14 feet long. That should do the trick at about half the price of the marine supply place.

So, just by moving a little weight around, she planes quickly and runs flat and fast.... All's left to do is figure out how to mount the .50 cal on the bow !!

Regards,

Steve

Grumpy I

Cadet

Have a 2110 Lund Grand Barron, Mercury 250V, walk thru, loaded.
Could not keep the Bow down in the water, picked up a Fin to attach on the lower secion of the motor.
I did not want to drill holes in my in my new motor.
Picked up SE Sport 300 and the Drill free clip.
Waht a difference out of the hole very quick, fast on plane almost as if I had wings. Also have the same 300 on a 45hp Merc works as well but not as fast as the Lund.
Had both for several years no problems
Would do it again on a new boat.
Richard

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Moving weight around if you already have the stuff on board anyway is just fine. But remember that when additional people come with you you'll probably have to move it again.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A fishing buddy of mine had a foil on an early 80's bass boat with a 70 horse Johnson - if I remember right. It completely changed the way that boat ran. It was great except he didn't pay attention to the tach, over-revved his nearly 30 year old two stroke. The engine decided to put its insides outside. Hole. Big hole.

Not sure if your setup has a governor, just be careful if you go that route. Another friend has a race boat. He uses sandbags to keep the bow down. Cheap, easy to move, and they don't take much space.

bassman284

Commander

Yeah, I was going to say sandbags.

45Auto

Commander

Start putting these in front of your boat till it meets your requirements (I usually try to stop just before the boat sinks).

bikini-boat.jpg

Coastalguy

Cadet

Hey guys I appreciate all of your fine advice, everything from a boat
full of beautiful women to accessories to turn my Lund into an armed
Vietnam era river patrol boat or even an amphibious flying saucer.

I really think I have come up with an inexpensive solution. Assuming
you do not have too much weight in the stern and it's just a question
of your typical tiller steered tinny being nose light with one person aboard.
I purchased a 7 gallon water container called an aqua-tainer at Wal Mart
for a mere $11. Adding it's 2 lb weight to 7 gallons of water and you've
got 60 lbs. Just like having a kid or medium sized dog up front. Fits in the
nose real nice and due to it's square shape in stays put. They also make
a 6 gallon flat style and they all have a little tap if you want to take a drink.
Go to www.reliance products.com see these containers. I consider this
a small ballast tank, weight adjustable by the amount of water you put in.
A nice little scale on the side tells you # of gallons inside and it's rugged
plastic, a leak proof solution.

Hope this helps someone out Thank You Coastal Guy

Flashman666

Recruit

I've got the same boat, but with a 20 Yamaha, and it does much the same thing. I was thinking this was just the way these boats performed, until I was working on a problem with another 14' boat I have (which I posted about today). In short, I noticed on the Lund that the motor may sit a little too low on the transom, such that the cavitation plate is close to 2" below the keel if the motor sits flush on the transom. I'm going to raise mine up and see what the performance difference might be.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A fishing buddy of mine had a foil on an early 80's bass boat with a 70 horse Johnson - if I remember right. It completely changed the way that boat ran. It was great except he didn't pay attention to the tach, over-revved his nearly 30 year old two stroke. The engine decided to put its insides outside. Hole. Big hole.

Not sure if your setup has a governor, just be careful if you go that route. Another friend has a race boat. He uses sandbags to keep the bow down. Cheap, easy to move, and they don't take much space.

I don't think that is what they were talking about as far as hole shot.:D

TerryMSU

Coastalguy

Cadet
Re: Best thing to use for weight up front in a Lund, Reply to flashman

Re: Best thing to use for weight up front in a Lund, Reply to flashman

I would be curious to see what the results of your modifications are.
I too find that my engine sat too low on the transom when mounted flush.
I went up 1 mounting hole so that now the anti cav plate is about 1 inch
below the boats bottom. Speed seems about the same but there is less spray,
RPMs might be a tad higher (no tach here). I will be curious to see what your
results are too . I think the main problem with purpoising is 200+ lb guys like me
in the stern with the engine and no weight in the nose.
From my experience follow the mounting height reccomendation in your
engine owners manual ( maybe lean towards the height being on the high side )
and keep some weight in the nose like that aqua-taner and all should be good.

Flashman666

Recruit

I won't be able to get to it for two weeks or so, but I'll let you know.

Surfer Dave

Seaman Apprentice

I'd do what 45 auto says

Coastalguy

Cadet
To flashman on your 14' lund

To flashman on your 14' lund

I've pretty much got my Lund SV 14 running as well as I can. Some ballast
up front when I'm alone and the engine mounted 1 hole up which results in
less spray and helps with the purposing. Trim angle set one notch out from
full in which is the best compromise for different weight situations.
A few weeks back you said you were going to raise your engine and then
get back to me on the results, since you have the same boat I am very curious what your results are too?

These little boats are just great just takes a bit of time and trial and error to
get them perfected!!

Cheers to you Coastal Guy

Flashman666

Recruit

Sorry for the delay, CG - I've been away. I'm hoping to get to this soon and will let you know. It sounds like your modifications have helped, so I'm optimistic.

Start putting these in front of your boat....

I don't have a problem with the nose of my boat being too lite, but I sure wouldn't mind putting one of those on mine to play around with and find out what it does for it...any idea where I can pick one up cheap?

:p

okay, and for a helpful tip if anyone ever needs to make some large lead weights, you can usually pick up small lead pieces cheap if you don't already have it from junk/scrap yards, melt it down and pour it into a valve cover off of a v8 motor...most common mold used at race tracks all over the country...lol