1974 75hp chrysler problems - HELP!

ZachGrant

Recruit
Hello, I recenty purchased a boat from my uncle and it's got a 75 horse chrysler on it. I know its the pre-1975 model because it doesnt have a mag. ignition.

Anyway the problem is that to start off it is hard starting, but with a shot of ether it fires right off. Once running, it idles rough. I have had it out a couple times and it when at wide open throttle it never really seems to have the power it should. When i go out on the water, it progressively starts running worse and worse until it will hardly hold 2000 rpm and if i shut it down it won't start again until it sits for a few hours. I have scratched out most the simple fixes such as the gas tank vent cap and improper fuel mixture. I have searched the forums and can't seem to find any answers. Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 75hp chrysler problems - HELP!

Check and/or replace the capacitor inside the distributor. Clean and reset the points to .014 open. Failure mode for capacitors is: as they heat up, they short and will again perform correctly when they cool down.

As for the starting: NEVER use ether. It has no lubricant. Use a pre-mix of 50-1. If you need to prime the engine to start it, it is not getting enough fuel. It needs to be choked on the cold start.

To start the first time put the control handle in fast idle--pull out the knob and advance the handle until it stops. Next, push in on the key and hold it while turning to choke the engine