New to Forum

Casey G

Seaman Apprentice
I love this forum. I am a new Starcraft owner. I have always wanted a Hardtop Islander. I finally got one this week, a 1987 221 Islander, it runs awesome, looks good, needs a few minor things done to in like some wiring and re-sealing the windows. My big question is, it has a 4.3 omc cobra in it, after reading all the stuff on the internet, did i make a big mistake? The price was very good, but it sounds like i might pay for it in the long hall. Thank you all in advance for the feedback.

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: New to Forum

Welcome Casey. If you are happy with the deal and like the boat, why would you worry? If the motor runs then use it and take care of it, may last years:rolleyes:
So you know we do require pics to be admitted to the insanity, I mean club.:p

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

The bigger sin is not posting a picture!

If your motor and drive work well for you - then you did well.

Casey G

Seaman Apprentice

Lets see if this picture works. Trying to figure out how to post one here.

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

Casey, welcome to the zoo. always glad to see more owners of cruisers on here.:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

SEI makes a Cobra - mercruiser conversion should you need it. I think your mistake is minimal. Love to see pics. Don't use facebook as a pic host.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congratulations on the new Islander:)

They are great boats, perfect for the Great Lakes. I grew up in Petoskey and we'd always see the hardtop Islanders out salmon fishing. I will have one someday:D

Casey G

Seaman Apprentice

Hope these pics come thru this time. lol Thanks for all the welcomes. I hope these pics get me accepted:) Huron Angler, thanks I have always wanted a hardtop, and my dream has finally come true. I took it out sat. for the 1st time out of St. Joe and it performed awesome except it was 3-4 foot waves and my brother got sick. lol That was minor though.

Attachments

• 2010-08-03 19.29.41.jpg
    2010-08-03 19.29.41.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010-08-07094722.jpg
    2010-08-07094722.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0

fshngho

Lieutenant

Good Golly Casy, you were worried about WHAT? I don't know what you paid but that is an awsome boat. I can hear HA crying from here;). Truly a great addition to the Starmada:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Awesome boat! Welcome to the Starmada.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Is it just me or does the boat sit very low in the water. However you have a lot of gear showing on the stern. Great looking boat

Huron Angler

Admiral

It's probably sitting lower than an OB model would cause it's got a big engine block sitting in the stern.

A large cooler full of refreshments on ice in the cabin helps with that particular issue:D

In all seriousness...at rest the hulls do sit a bit "bow-up", I'm sure it planes out and trolls fine:)

What kind of clearance do you have at the helm? I'm 6'5" and just curious...I may have to opt for the soft-top version as a safety precaution.;)

Deadwood

Chief Petty Officer

I've got the "high bow" issue too. Must be the nature of the beast. Thinking about filling the front-most storage area in the cuddy with sand. Or maybe cram my 160 qt igloo up there full of water and run a hose off the igloo's hose bib for washing fish guts, etc. 1 qt equals about 2 lbs so around 300 lbs of added weight. Can't wait for the Coast Guard to say "you did what?"

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

HA, most community colleges offer welding classes, and a custom tall-person roof or T-top would be a great project for beginning TIG welding....

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

I did the three sand bags in the bow on my boat.
I worked great for trolling in a crosswind.
The problem I ran into was with the old rusty trailer.
The added weight caused the reach to bend and collapse.
I like the cooler and water trick and you can empty for transport.
GLG

Deadwood

Chief Petty Officer

Might help my trailer out being heavier up front since it's tandem and I can pull up on the nose pretty easy now.

A T-top...hmmmmmmm...wonder if I could form one out of cement......uh oh...here comes the Coast Guard again.

Casey G

Seaman Apprentice

I am 5'11" with no problems. It would probably hold a 7' blonde in there. ;) I have no problems getting on plane at all, trolls down to 1.7gps, but it does look high in the nose.

123gman321

Cadet

Awsome boat maintain it run it fish it if the outdrive give you trouble fix or replace the hull will out live you.

Huron Angler

Admiral

HA, most community colleges offer welding classes, and a custom tall-person roof or T-top would be a great project for beginning TIG welding....

Yeah you're right, I should look into it. There's a guy building a custom t-top for his glass rig in the restoration forum and he is doing a great job.:)