Fun at the Ramp

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now, this isn't a rant, just a funny look at the antics at the ramp yesterday. :) I'm very new to this so I pay close attention

Six of us go out to Caeser Creek Lake yesterday, about 1:00. The lake is a small one, less than 3000 acres and has five locations you can put your boat in.

The lake and ramp are quiet, there are only 3 empty trailers in the parking lot where we put in, pretty much what you would expect for a Thursday afternoon. We pull up, start to ready the boat. A guy with 3 kids pulls up behind me with a 21' shallow v and readys his boat.

I get done first, put my toon in on the left ramp. The right ramp is open, so where does Mr. shallow v put in, but right next to me on the left ramp.

When I return from parking the trailer, he's gone and has left his kids in charge of his boat which is not tied off. :eek: The kiddies almost let it drift into my toon and my sons fiance ends up going over to the other dock to tie his boat off.

Since he has me pinched in we have to push away from the ramp. This is only my 4th time putting a boat in, so I tuck this little lesson away. We go out onto the lake, ground the boat on a sandbar by a little island and have a great afternoon swimming, sunning on the beach and feeding fish potato chip crumbs. We make plans to return with a grill, firewood and bag chairs and make a day of it later this month.

At 5:30 we return to the ramp. We seem to be walking into the start of a fishing tournament, there are 9 bass boats with humongus OBs just sitting, scattered in the no wake zone by the ramp. Another toon is orbiting, patiently waiting their turn b/c there are 2 more bassboats coming out. They get a chance, dash in, drop off the TV driver who makes a dash to get his trailer and the toon goes back out to orbit (with me) until the trailer returns. His wife expertly drives the toon right up on the trailer, he probably had the trailer in and out in less than 2 minutes. I'm watching this, busy taking notes

During this time one of the last bassboats s l o w l y backs away from the ramp. The fisherman is busy with something in his cooler, he doesn't realize he's moving toward another BB until the other guy quietly ;) brings it to his attention. More entertainment for my crew. :D

Finally, both ramps clear and we get in on the left ramp. I tie up and run to the lot to get my trailer. (I'm both captain and TV driver today, DW was home with sick DD). I get the trailer and head back to the ramp.

While I'm away a guy comes in with a 14' aluminum boat with a 9HP OB. Where does he put in, but right next to me on the left ramp, the right ramp is open and nobody is waiting! TOO Funny!

I'm backing the trailer down the ramp and out of the corner of my eye I see a red Chevy PU flying out of the trailer lot in reverse and he's aimed right at my door. It's the guy with the aluminum boat, he has no trailer and he must be in a hurry! I stop, he stops, we eye each other, I'm trying to figure out what he has planned, he waves me on. I continue down the ramp. The next thing I see is him again flying down the ramp next to me. Very wierd sensation having that motion out of my right eye while looking in my mirror at the trailer and ramp.

I get the trailer in and quickly get the toon out of water. He's busy putting the OB inside his truck and drags the boat into the truck bed. More entertainment for the crew, they are already looking forward to the next trip. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fun at the Ramp

Funny... But I'm not sure what "TV" is, or "DW" & "DD" for that matter.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL!!! Great story and told very well. One can have many laughs at a busy boat ramp, especially on a windy day.

BTW. TV= Tow vehicle DW= Dear wife DD= Dear daughter.

drolds72

Seaman Apprentice

Good stuff! I can make a morning of watching the boat ramp on a Saturday. Just keep watching other's procedures and making notes of what works and what doesn't. Those Bass Masters are usually pretty good at the ramp due to all the traveling and trailering they do. As long as everybody has a job, and knows it, things go pretty smooth. I am pretty sure I have seen some marriages dissolve at the boat ramp....

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just a note to you. I believe the ramp your talking about is actually 2, 2 lane ramps with a dock in between. So, there should be no problems launching 4 boats at a time. I don't get to Caesar Creek much any more other than to tune and test boats, But I always used to have fun just sitting in a lawn chair watching at the ramps...:)

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

lol!!! Great story and told very well. One can have many laughs at a busy boat ramp, especially on a windy day.

Btw. Tv= tow vehicle dw= dear wife dd= dear daughter.

10q

Micahhaase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A couple weekends ago me and the family went camping at a local lake.. Lake thunderbird here in Norman, Oklahoma or as the locals call it "Dirtybird" we got out on the lake pretty early so there wasnt much action on the ramp (which is big enough to fit two boats) but when we came in around 12:30 -1 the ramp was crazy busy, there must have been 20 boats floating coming in and out. So I docked the boat and the kids and wife got off and went to get the truck. When I started to reverse slowly I see a boat come to the other side of the dock and saw him pulling on something so I looked back and saw two small kids still on a tube going threw a busy ramp. If I wasn't looking i would have ran right through the rope and it could have caused some problems.

I let the guy know that it wasn't very safe to haul his kids to a busy ramp on a tube ( the kids couldn't be over 6-7 years old). He just looked at me and went on.

Just remind everyone that even if your a safe boater there are a TON of ppl that either dont know or dont care about safety..

MIKEYLIKESIT

Cadet

Good stuff! I can make a morning of watching the boat ramp on a Saturday. Just keep watching other's procedures and making notes of what works and what doesn't. Those Bass Masters are usually pretty good at the ramp due to all the traveling and trailering they do. As long as everybody has a job, and knows it, things go pretty smooth. I am pretty sure I have seen some marriages dissolve at the boat ramp....

haha!! i know that's right! almost got mine last week! had to load the boat at a 30* angle because SOMEONE couldn't back the trailer in straight.:D

JCH57

Cadet

I get a hoot at the sights at the ramp. Went to Ceasers Creek Lake, a couple of times on the weekend, won't be doing that any more lol. I go to Rocky Fork Lake, and Paint Creek Lake, I was at Rocky yesterday, after loading my boat on the trailer, i was readying it for the ride home. An older gentleman, and his grand daughter,which looked to be about 11, or 12, launched a small vbottom boat, maybe a 10'. He backed into the water, a little further than need be, she got the boat off the trailer and was holding it with a rope, when he pulled out of the ramp, the trailer caught the boat, so he backed down again, trying to watch her, and the boat, and got his truck and trailer jack knifed in the ramp lol. She got the boat away from the trailer, and he started to pull out , spinning his rear wheels on the ramp, and sliding sideways. I was thinking, ok, if he has a chain, or tow strap, i could unhook, and pull him out, but he finally gained some traction, and got out of the ramp lol. Poor guy!! I had my digital camera with me, but it was in the truck, besides i didn't want to embarress him more than what he already was by recording him lol.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

JCH57, how busy does RF get on the weekends? I noticed there is a FHU CG there and a lot of development nearby. It's also about 1/3rd smaller than Caeser Creek.

I got to provide some entertainment this weekend. When we went to recover the boat, the ramp was so busy, I didn't have room to straighten the TV and trailer. I was wiggling back and fourth, finally on my 4th :mad: try I settled down and put in right next to another guy on my right. He was having his own problems though. They got their trailer in the water, got the crew in, but couldnt get the boat started. The boat then floats away from the trailer and ends up x-ways at the end of the ramp. Finally, after a few minutes he finally gets it started and motors off. It was TOO Funny! :D

Everyone was very cool about everything, I guess they have been there befor.

JCH57

Cadet

Hi Mr.Crabbs,
JCH57, how busy does RF get on the weekends? I noticed there is a FHU CG there and a lot of development nearby. It's also about 1/3rd smaller than Caeser Creek.
It gets kind of busy on the weekends, but not nearly as busy as Ceasers. Usually on the weekends, the North Shore ramp gets full. There's a ramp off of McCoppins Mill road, that goes to the dam, that fills up sometimes also. Then there's East Shore Marina, and Fishermans Warf. I've only used the East Shore Marina once, never have used Fisherman's Warf. There's another small ramp at South Beach.
If your familuar with Rocky, their not hard to find.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

How is the water a Caesar Creek? Not too much chop?

It looks like there are places to hide and slolam ski with out playing in a wave pool.

Any special ramp fees or anything?

MXHalofan

Seaman Apprentice

In my short 6 trips to local lakes, I've seen a lot of inattentive, rude and dangerous behavior around the ramps. Had a guy pull his boat right behind mine as I was pulling against a dock. Seen a toon swing out full throttle trying to clear a dock and ended up smacking it so hard they ripped the end cap wood off, which had 6 long screws to rip out. They hit it so hard, the dock barely stayed attached to land. My engine/prop was less than 2 feet from their boat which was under full throttle. I yelled loudly at them from like 15 feet and they just completely ignored me, not one turned thier head. They were drunk already I'd bet. Nearly hit two trucks backing their rig in.

Stay alert out there!

Micahhaase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I will be heading to the same lake tomorrow... With the temps hitting 107 here tomorrow we will def. be anchoring and swimming quite a bit and probably heading back home before the afternoon sun sets in.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

How is the water a Caesar Creek? Not too much chop?

It looks like there are places to hide and slolam ski with out playing in a wave pool.

Any special ramp fees or anything?

No ramp fees, the lake is cut up and has an overpass in the middle creating a pretty decent sized no wake zone there.

We have already decided the weekend isn't the time to tube or ski there, unless you got in the water early Sunday morning. We were there last Sunday and heading back we were wallowing like a pig in places, the chop was really bad.

We went out Wednesday morning (10:00AM) and we were the 4th trailer in the lot. The lake was smooth as glass, until the T-storms showed up.