Hub off by 1/2 in need help tire is rubbing...

ahendri

Seaman Apprentice
So i recently bought my boat and on the way home we lost a tire on the passenger side of the boat.. single axel trailer by the way... and i am thinking from taking all the weight the other tire bent or maybe it was already bent i didnt pay much attention... anyway i got the measuring tape out and saw that the hub is a half inch toed out on the driver side and i have no idea how to make it square.. passenger side is square.. I was thinking a come along but not sure thanks guys

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hub off by 1/2 in need help tire is rubbing...

Remove the hub and take a look. If it really got bent, you don't want to straigthen it as it is now weakened.

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At least put the trailer on jack stands to take the weight of the bearing. It could just be lose bearings (that would be real lose though) If it is bent you?ll want to replace it with a new one.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it just the hub that is cocked, or is the axel bent. Just the hub sounds like bearings, or the spindle somehow bent. More likely, the axel was overloaded at some point and has a bow to it. Eitherway, put the boat in the water, and take a careful look at the trailer/springs/shackles/axel to see where it's off.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to find the problem first. It could be a wheel that is bent, does it wobble?

Jack it up and spin the wheel. If it spins true then it probably isn't the wheel. Pull the wheel and examine the hub, spin it and see how it spins.

Also measure from a known point to both mounting brackets for the axle, the whole axle could be out of line. If it is just loosen the mounting bolts, straighten and retighten the axle.

If the hub is bent I would replace the bearing also, as you never know how much damage you did to the bearing pulling it that way.

Good Luck!!!

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You lost the right hub and the LEFT side is toed out? Hm..... If it is that bad it should almost be leaving black marks on the road! Get a helper and measure from tire to tire and see if it really is. If you measured from the spring or frame you may get inaccurate numbers.

Pelletmonster

Seaman Apprentice

another true way to see if your axle is bent is take the tires off and hubs if u desire, get yourself a long tape measure.. measure from center of the ball/coupler to the center of the spindle..obv measurement should be the same if not then need to get your axle replaced..good luck

ahendri

Seaman Apprentice

the tire spins true on and the hub also spins... we lost the tire the hub stayed on the right side. I was getting ready to take a come a long to it and see if that wouldhelp me out...