04 four winns h170

jerni21

Seaman Apprentice
hey guys, im thinking about buying an 04 four winns h170 with the 3.0 liter 135 hp engine, it comes with a fish finder, and bimimi top. the trailer is in good shape, and it has surge brakes. i should be able to get it for about 7000, this boat hasnt been used very much at all, the guy hasnt even had it out at all this year until the other day he took me out on it. the boat is almost mint, it runs great, needs a tune up, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor he says he hasnt done it in the 6 years he has owned it, he has done oil changes and he has winterized it every year. First of all do you think this is a good deal? and second of all i have never owned an I/O so what are the normal maintenance things to do other than oil/fluid changes?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 04 four winns h170

Howdy,

Sounds like a nice boat. (Volvo Penta engine/drive?)

I would do a NADA comparison. http://www.boats.com/nada/nada.jsp

And then I would find comparable boats. It's a buyers market. (getting to the end of summer.....)

Even later is better!

Cheers,

Rick

jerni21

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 04 four winns h170

yea it's a volvo/penta drive, i was able to get it for 6800 so i'm gonna pick it up sunday. so it will be a new learning experience compared to an outboard. What's this i hear about bellows in the outdrive? Also, what do you guys use to change the oil, as far as pumping it out? also, i see one drain plug for the lower unit oil in the outdrive, is there not a vent plug on top? sorry for all the questions but i'm gonna be doing all the maintenance on it myself, this guy always went to the dealer with it so he doesnt know how to do it, so any help would be appreciated, thanks!