anybody know where the VIN# is located

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys, I just got a pair of jetskis and a zieman trailer. I need a VIN "sighting" from the insurance agent in order for me to register it. I've looked every where on this thing and it's nowhere to be found. Any suggestions where it could be? Thanks

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: anybody know where the VIN# is located

If its a "C Channel" frame (as opposed to a closed, box frame), look on the inside of the channel, close to where the "V" meets the tongue. It may be there and if so, it may be on the starboard side,

???

John Dismang

Cadet

They are also just below the winch sometimes as well and if you don't find them there, look for them to be stamped into the frame instead of on a tag at the rear of the trailer.

oldjeep

Admiral

The serial number has only been on a sticker either on the tounge or inside the front of the "A" on the trailers I've had

John Dismang

Cadet

I'm a Police Officer and I actually see them in alot of different places with no reason for them being in some of them. Very hard to find sometimes but they are required to be on a metal plate of some kind or stamped into the frame.

RMasters

Seaman

I would check and touch. Yes, because on ours the plate was painted over.

We have paperwork which states it was a 1983 homebuilt with no VIN number. Operated and registered for 37 years, so you would think it is correct, right?

Instead of double checking, we had the Police to a verification check in order to get it registered. Bad choice, the cop put down it was a 2010 trailer (guess nobody was home).

Luckily, 2 days ago I washed the bottom of the trailer, was holding onto the frame, and noticed that there was something under the paint, the plate.

Now we have to do it all over again, but this time we will be present to assure it is done right.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I can't speak for all states, but if you want to register a home made trailer in Louisiana, you must go to a state police barracks and have it inspected. If it passes, you are given a die set and a mallet along with a VIN. You must then stamp the VIN in the trailer tongue, right behind the hitch.

???