1979 Black Max 150

Nutzio

Recruit
Hello all, 1st post and a total new guy to higher powered bass boats. I am looking at a 1979 Hydra Sport 178V Kevlar 18' bass boat with the Mercury Black Max Out board.

The whole rig looks low hour.

Mercury engine fired quickly and idled pretty smooth water was running fine through it from the garden hose. Owner of boat says compression in the lowest cylinder was between 100 to 105 (said he could find the receipt from the marina to be sure)

What am I getting into? This boat will be used to fish ther Ohio River primarily with some large lakes thrown in when I get time.

Can I still get replacement parts for this engine?

MFisher

Cadet
Re: 1979 Black Max 150

You most certainly can, Check what iboats has and I am sure if they don't have they can get it. Good motor keep it tuned and with fresh gas and plugs and enjoy

Nutzio

Recruit

Ok, thanks, he did mention he runs a low dosage of seafoam through it all the time, seemed weird, I heard of people using a pony tank with a good dose of seafoam then go right back to their main 50:1. Is this harmful to pistons?

j_martin

Admiral

Only concern is, if the lowest is 105, and the rest are 125, it's about due for a major overhaul. That's some bucks.