Alpha one/Gen 1 won't come out of gear

caisson1

Cadet
Just adjusted shift cables per manual on top of '87 - 3.0L Mercruiser engine. I replaced the remote lever with a Teleflex Morse SL-3 and it is smooth and easy. Got exactly 3 inches of travel in the remote shift cable. Changed out shift cable in outdrive 4 years ago. Goes into Fwd and Rev just fine. Doesn't want to come out of Fwd or Rev. Idle hasn't changed. Do I need to adjust the shift interrupter switch?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha one/Gen 1 won't come out of gear

Before you start adjusting the switch, check it and see if it works.
With the engine running, activate the switch by hand and see if the engine dies.

Is the boat in the water or on muffs when it won't come out of gear?

caisson1

Cadet

Checked switch by moving roller off of center plastic indent. Had to move outward about 1/4" before engine died. It did the same thing every time. Any best way to bend metal arm?

Also, the boat won't come out of gear (Fwd and Rev) while in the water. I tend to stay away from putting in gear while on muffs. Of course if I shut boat off or decelerate from 20mph to neutral quickly, it comes out of gear.

One more thing: While on land, I had a friend put it in Fwd while I locked the prop, it will not come out of gear unless i release pressure. I don't even have to move the prop, just release pressure. It did the same in Rev.
Chris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DO NOT start bending that switch arm. They DO NOT suddenly just bend themselves out of adjustment. Somenthing is causing your problem, and at this point, I don't see it being the switch. If you only have to move the shift bracket a 1/4 to make the engine die, then it's fine.

One more thing: While on land, I had a friend put it in Fwd while I locked the prop, it will not come out of gear unless i release pressure.

That is the way it should be.

What I would do is diconnect the shift cable from the engine. The cable that goes from the control box to the engine.

Now, hold the end of the cable and the cable sheath and have a friend try to shift the control box while you try to prevent him from moving it by holding the cable. If you can stop him from moving the control, you need a new cable. It binding inside. You shouldn't be able to stop him moving it with the control lever.

caisson1

Cadet

Checked for binding and none found. Smooth operation of cables. Should be as they were changed out with the new Morse SL-3. Upon closer inspection of the cutout switch, it is cutting out the engine with roller 1/8" off the center of the the shift cutout bracket. Tested with ohm meter and 1/8" drill bit to measure the distance.

Tested on water and it appears better, comes out of Fwd most of the time and reverse all the time. Re: remote shift cable on top of engine, tried backing off the barrel 4 turns away from the cable end guide like some suggest on these forums. No real noticeable difference.

Not sure what else I can do. It goes in gear nicely so that's good.
Thanks for your advice Don S.
Chris