Cost of replacement Catalytic Converters

QC

Supreme Mariner
I am doing some research for our Company's Emissions Division. We manufacture mega catalytic converters and have delivered product for engines in excess of 8000 bhp. We just put together a deal on some 7 liter/300 bhp engines and started wondering about other niches where we might be able to stay under the radar of the mega players and of course I thought of boats . . . :D I don't think we stand a chance of being competitive, but want to be responsible and not dismiss it out of hand.

What is the replacement cost of the new Merc and Volvo cats? One opportunity we might be able to serve is the nasty little will-fit niche :eek: With that said, I am guessing a failed cat will stay failed. Nobody will know and that it will stay that way until the Manifold goes . . . Just thinking out loud here, but wondering what other's thoughts, and especially the numbers, are.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cost of replacement Catalytic Converters

I don't know anything about the Mercruiser setup, but the Volvo converters are just over $1800 (SRP) for a set of 2. That does not include any gaskets or anything else. Just the converters.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool, thanks. From your perspective, if a guy replaces Manifolds, do you think they will also replace the Cats? My guess is they'll "accidentally" leave them out, or stick the old ones in the new manifolds.

Fun Times

Staff member

Cool, thanks. From your perspective, if a guy replaces Manifolds, do you think they will also replace the Cats? My guess is they'll "accidentally" leave them out, or stick the old ones in the new manifolds.
Trust me, Testing and mandatory reporting is coming sooner than later.;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If I bought one of these engines that had cats, I would almost be tempted to replace them with no cats and keep the old cats around when they were required to test. My bet is that testing wouldn't be happening for a long long time.

They would be testing motorcycles long before they started testing boats and that hasn't happened yet. I took the cats off my Harley when i bought it and I have the stock exhaust system stored away for when the time comes I would need to test.

ziggy

Admiral

fwiw.

if memory serves me right. pwc (yamaha) had cats in there 2000 era 3 cly. 2 strokes i believe. one of the first mods to do to it was to replace the cat with nothing... i've no idea if that idea will carry over to boats or not.. just throwing it out there.

Don S

I don't have any information on the CAT engines, but I would bet the ECM is setup to requier some input from the sensors in, on, or around the converters for the engine to run properly. Bet replacing the manifolds with the old style will be next to impossible if you want it to run outside of the slow mode (2500rpm max wot)

QC

Supreme Mariner

My bet is that testing wouldn't be happening for a long long time.
I tend to agree with this. I've been around engine emissions forever and they go down the list from biggest polluters to smallest. Marine pleasure craft is not close to lawn mowers ;)

My guess is the only sensor is an O2 sensor and that would still be operable if you simply removed the Cat "element" from an existing manifold/riser combo. Would have to see it I guess. I am not suggesting this approach to anyone, but think it will happen a lot if technically feasible.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Would be very easy to fool the sensor I am sure. Just get some precision voltage source to plug in its place or modify the ECM software to ignore the O2 sensor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Marine pleasure craft is not close to lawn mowers ;)
Or charcoal BBQs.

Its funny...the wackos up in Tahoe want boat free days because they think they contribute to smog in the basin. Probably more smog due to BBQs and campfires than the boats.

Don S

Just get some precision voltage source to plug in its place or modify the ECM software to ignore the O2 sensor.

Yeah right, many DIYers can't figure out how to set the dwell on points, or what oil to use, let alone do that something like that ......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yeah right, many DIYers can't figure out how to set the dwell on points, or what oil to use, let alone do that something like that ......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yeah...no kidding!

Fun Times

Staff member

I am doing some research for our Company's Emissions Division. We manufacture mega catalytic converters and have delivered product for engines in excess of 8000 bhp. We just put together a deal on some 7 liter/300 bhp engines and started wondering about other niches where we might be able to stay under the radar of the mega players and of course I thought of boats
Thanks
QC, Has any of your engines ever done this?:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkXriHjQeI

45Auto

Commander

I told them they should have used the factory recommended oil in that motor .... :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

LOL . . . Yeah, that one is awesome!!!

We definitely know how to blow them up. We used to hand out an Engine Destructor Award. It was a plaque with a melted piston on it. It was a badge of honor as we wanted our guys pushing the envelope. Still kind of stung to have it on your desk though . . .

Thankfully, we've never blown up a $1M plus biggee though. Harder when all we do is hang stuff on the end with the big ones. We have some really cool ways we mess up perfectly good 13 liters though ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Is that why they call the Ford Diesels PowerSmoke?

Bondo

Staff member

I don't think we stand a chance of being competitive, but want to be responsible and not dismiss it out of hand.

Ayuh,.... I ain't got much to add, I've driven a pipe through every Cat I ever had, so far,...
My Power-joke used to Stink to high heavens til I gutted the cat,...
Now it smells like diesel smoke....

I just wanta say, QC,... yer ruining the images I have of ya man,..... Responsible,..?? :D :D ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I meant responsible by taking a fair look at what is probably a small market . . . You should know one other thing about me by now, you have to read my mind :)

We were kicking this around some and the O2 sensor doesn't bother us much as the air/fuel ratio would still be OK with or without the Cat. We're mostly concerned about a lack of back pressure maybe freaking it out. From our perspective we hope they do need to replace the cats, but just don't think anybody will. they'll probably just leave the dead one in there, and probably won't know it is or is not operable.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno about the mercruiser but the volvo cat engines have 4 O2 sensors each.
they are self learning and self adapting and must have the cat as its measuring precat O2 and post cat O2.
the 5.7 EVC/ETC motors have a lot of stuff in the ECU now.
get used to it.
pleasure craft/crusader got an exemption and can sell carbed non cat engines until 2012.
any hull manufactured after jan 1st 2010 using a 4 stroke I/O or inboard must have cats.
the 4.3 and the 8.1L motors have been dropped from GM's production line.
volvo dropped the 3.0 and merc makes it MPI with a cat.
gonna get interesting in the next 10 years.