Best way to remove Welsh plug

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have the carb off of my 82 evinrude 4hp kicker and have decided to try and clean behind the welch plug. What's the best way to get it off without damaging anything?
Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Best way to remove Welsh plug

I drill a small hole in it and use a small punch to pry it out. Don't drill to deep, just through the plug and stop.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
after cleaning can you add some photo how to put back this welsh plug?
i read to take out this plug the best way is to use ice pick and pick it up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You lay the new plug in the hole, dome side up, and flatten it with a hammer and suitable punch. That expands it tightly in the hole. Do NOT go beyond flat--that will make it get loose again.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

You lay the new plug in the hole, dome side up, and flatten it with a hammer and suitable punch. That expands it tightly in the hole. Do NOT go beyond flat--that will make it get loose again.

I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I was also told (or maybe read?) to take some nail polish and paint the edges of the welsh plug to seal it even more. Maybe unnecessary, but I've seen others do it too.

lindy46

Captain

I usually mix a little epoxy and put it over the plug - probably not necessary, but it never leaks.

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got it out with a small drill bit and small screwdriver.
After all that, it was crystal clean. I was actually hoping to find something that would explain my poor idle and low speed problems.
At least I know how to do it now and my carb is looking like it just came out of the factory.
Anyway, I used the handle end of a ratchet and tapped it in with a hammer. Sealed up fine.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Is the idle needle tip damaged in any way shape or form?

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The needle looks good. It aligned with the little hole perfectly. Checked it when the welsh plug was out. Packing washers were destroyed though except for the plastic/nylon one.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Washers will do it, allow air in where there shouldn't be any air entering the carb, have you run it since?

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fishing this weekend on Erie. Fingers crossed. Going to try it in the barrel tomorrow.