Replacing Impeller 2hp Evinrude Outboard (E2RCTD)

johnny81

Seaman Apprentice
I have owned the above motor for a few months and have used it for about 15 hours or so. Its had a few problems within that time - but currently running nicely!! I'm just wondering how easy it is to replace the impeller on this motor. Do I need to purchase a service manual or should it be fairly straightforward? From the diagrams I've seen online it looks like the bottom half of the motor should be fairly easy to remove allowing me access to replace the impeller. Any advice would be gratefully received...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Replacing Impeller 2hp Evinrude Outboard (E2RCTD)

Looks pretty stright forward by the parts breakdown, remove the two bolts holding on the lower unit, drop it down and remove the water pump housing to replace the impeller.

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Little trick my dad taught me. Put a little grease on the drive shaft splines when your putting it back on.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

On the sides of the shaft where the splines are, make sure you don't get grease on the TOP of the shaft.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Replace the housing and wear plate if there is any scoring.

johnny81

Seaman Apprentice

Many Thanks for your advice. Have successfully managed to replace the impeller and now seems to be a bit more water coming out of the back. The engine seems to run a little slower at WOT throttle now. Its also stiffer to turn over - is this normal - and will it settle after the first few hours running or so?