1970 Tri-Hull. New to Boating: Lot's of water draining.

petedw

Cadet
I have been given a 1970 Thunderbird Shawnee Tri-Hull with a 60hp Johnson. The boat runs great, but when I pull the drain plug after we have been out a lot of water comes out. I have caulked the seam around the outside, but do not really know anything about boats. Where is this water getting in? Could it be from under the metal pieces on the back of the boat? Any help is appreciated.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Tri-Hull. New to Boating: Lot's of water draining.

need more info.

im guessing this is an outboard.

first thing to do, is get on a creeper and crawl the length of your boat, look for any hull penetration spots, look on the keel and the chines/strakes.

failing finding any damage.
take the boat out on a calm day and put around for an hour, dont hit any big waves, just putt.

look for water in the bilge.....yes=leak

if you see no water after an hour, then circle hard at medium throttle, do this a few times, both left and right.

water getting in= seperation in the cap at the bow rail. re caulk the rub rail seam.

no water?
do full throttle stop and starts, look for water coming over the back when the stern wave hits you,

water ?= re distribute weight to the bow

no water ?...post back here.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw.....welcome to i boats :)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

In addition to what oops posted, have a look at the boots on the steering/throttle cables in the splashwell. I found a picture of your model boat and it looks to have a smallish splashwell. I wouldn't be surprised if the water is coming over the back on a quick stop as oops said. Also look at any add-ons and associated plumbing like live well pumps if it has them. You alsodidn't say what type of outing produced the water. If you were tubing/skiing, some amount of water is expected from wet people getting in and out of the boat.

petedw

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. I will check these things out when I get a chance.

kwestcott

Recruit

:) i have had a Thunderbird Shawnee that I bought new in December 1969. I have always had water get in since it was new. I believe it comes over the motorwell when you back dow. I have repainted it once and am on my third motor a 115 evenrude. I have explored every inch of the hull and there are no cracks or holes anywhere. You have a tripple hull and water hides in the upper two hulls. I have enjoyed mine for over 40 years hope you do the same. Ken