Ballpark cost to replace an oil pump?

hawghead

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 86 WellCraft with a 350 Merc Alpha1. Going evaluate oil pressure issue tomorrow with a mechanical gauge. IF there is no pressure on the mech gauge and I am not looking at a electrical/gauge issue then what are the next places to look for a cause?

If it is indeed a bad pump what type of cash am i looking at? Just curious.

Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ballpark cost to replace an oil pump?

Howdy,

Oil pumps rarely fail. It happens, just not very often.

Your problem is more likely an indication problem (gage, sender, electrical problem in the gage circuit etc.)

If your oil pump has really failed and the engine has been run very much before you actually discovered the failure, you have FAR MORE problems than a simple oil pump replacement.

If that's the case, the engine will have to come out to inspect bearings, rod and main journals etc.....

regards,

Rick

hawghead

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I am hoping it is somewhere between the sender (already replaced) and the gauge. The pressure was fine, after running a lot on Friday and Sat we were going out for a final outing on sunday morning, fired it up and was backing out of dock slip at the gauge gave me a reading of zero, nuttin, nada. Checked the ciruit between guage and sender everthing seemed good. Replaced the sender, now I am getting funky results at the guage. It no longer shows zero but will not move off the apparently random value it reads. It runs and sounds fine.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

More than likely your oil pump is fine.

You have a gage problem.

Take a piece of wire and touch one end to (block) ground and the othere end to the sender.

With the "key" on, does the gage go full scale "UP"? (pegged)

If it doesn't, you probably have a poor connection somewhere between the sender and the gage.

Poor/corroded connections are frequently the source with gage indication problems.

Also, make sure all the other ground and power connections (battery, block, etc) are clean and tight.

hawghead

Seaman Apprentice

Mechanical Pressure gauge had good news. Need to figure out where the issue is, thinking the gauge.

hawghead

Seaman Apprentice

More than likely your oil pump is fine.

You have a gage problem.

Take a piece of wire and touch one end to (block) ground and the othere end to the sender.

With the "key" on, does the gage go full scale "UP"? (pegged)

If it doesn't, you probably have a poor connection somewhere between the sender and the gage.

Poor/corroded connections are frequently the source with gage indication problems.

Also, make sure all the other ground and power connections (battery, block, etc) are clean and tight.

I did this test it pegged out and well to full scale up, turned off ignition and it remained in the full pegged position and didnt come down when I started the engine?

Does this indicate a faulty gauge?

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Usually if you ground the gauge it goes full. If its an open circut it will go to zero. Doing that says the gauge is ok. Do it at the guage to eliminate all wiring.

hawghead

Seaman Apprentice

It was the guage, we checked the continuity on the 12V, sender, and ground. New gauge badaboom badabing we are good to go!!

Thanks for your help guys! Iboats has helped me sooo much in the few months of boat ownership.