Running Hot update

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A little while back I posted that my merc 233 hp (1976) was running hot. For those of you who may remember: I replaced the impellar end of last year and continued the search this year. I found many potential problems along the way.

This was a reman. engine that I picked up. They did not do the heads correctly, so I sent them out for rebuild.

Circ. pump was tired, thermostat changed, timing was off, intake leak causing carb to run lean and hot, shorted temp gauge. Manifolds are clear . After all this I was stumped.

I knew the motor was cammed up and was starting to blame the cam set up for the hot condition. Was all but ready to give up flushing my time and money when I read a post or two on here about a high speed over heat.

I read on and found that I was very familiar with the overheat coditions described by others. Most common suggestions were water shutters, clogged manifolds and water pump.

Well I knew I had control of the first two but, what if that water pump I put in was crap??
So I find myself all the way back at the beginning and put another new water pump in.

BINGO!, No More Overheat !! Just couldn't get it though my thick head that this pump could be the problem sinnce it had less than 15hrs on it. Go Figure!!

Thanx to all that tried to help. Time to get out there and enjoy!