Evinrude 150 xp bogs out on takeoff

Roodski

Cadet
I have a '91 Evinrude 150 xp that usually runs flawlessly, but occasionally without warning, it bogs out when trying to plane off.
It never stalls out when this happens, and if I back off the throttle and try again, it will eventually achieve plane, mildly surging for a few seconds, and then "BINGO" everything is fine again.
I've read up on the VRO pump and believe it's working fine. I've also checked all lines and connections to and from it. I've changed out the fuel filter, changed plugs, run gas treatment, etc.
Does this sound like a possible carb problem, as I have not got to those yet?

Any advice would be well appreciated,

Thanks.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 150 xp bogs out on takeoff

Yes it sounds like a carb problem
it also sounds like an ignition problem.
it also sounds like a link and sync problem.
They mimick each other.

have you tried hitting the choke when it bogs?

If it picks up rpm by hitting the choke its carb.

As its mostly intermittent its difficult to diagnose, a timing light might show it dropping spark to a cyl.

Removing the hood might help spot sticking linkage if its link related.

Roodski

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, jonesg;

No, I haven't tried the choke, or watching for sticking linkages, but they both sound like simple tests that could help me out. I'll try them next time out and report back with the results.
Thanks.

jonesg

Admiral

A small temporary deck tank is handy , it will show if theres a problem with your underdeck tank has flow problems.

Roodski

Cadet

A small temporary deck tank is handy , it will show if theres a problem with your underdeck tank has flow problems.

Another simple test I should have tried before posting here. I had been wondering if the gas line fuel pickup in the tank might be occasionally clogging up somehow. That would be an easy way to find out.
I'll try that as well, thanks again.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use an external tank and rule out any fuel delivery issue, if the problem still persist then it could be the carbs spitting excessive fuel into the air baffle or cover when throttling up it will bog with the excessive unburn 2 smoke oil. This problem will be more evident after a long idling troll , give it a try and see what happens, I will recommend you completely clean and service your carbs and check all fuel hoses including the primer hoses and the re-circulation valves sounds like a lot to do but its not.

Roodski

Cadet

Use an external tank and rule out any fuel delivery issue, if the problem still persist then it could be the carbs spitting excessive fuel into the air baffle or cover when throttling up it will bog with the excessive unburn 2 smoke oil. This problem will be more evident after a long idling troll , give it a try and see what happens, I will recommend you completely clean and service your carbs and check all fuel hoses including the primer hoses and the re-circulation valves sounds like a lot to do but its not.

Thanks nymack66,
I do plan on a carb servicing, just waiting for the kit.
In the meantime, I took it out today to try out some of these suggestions, but I couldn't employ any of them because once again, the motor ran like a legend, not even a slight hiccup. I guess that's a good problem, but the fact remains, there still "is" a problem that will rear it's ugly head one day if I don't take care of it now. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Roodski

Cadet
Re:Update: Evinrude 150 xp bogs out on takeoff

Re:Update: Evinrude 150 xp bogs out on takeoff

Finallly got a chance to take the carbs off, and to my surprise found one of the bottom carb mounting bolts for the bottom carb was not loose, it simply wasn't there! Whoever worked on this last either spaced it out or couldn't find it and decided to try to make do without it. I suspect the latter, because the other bottom bolt had a double lock washer on it, I guess as a feeble attempt to over compensate for the missing one.
I haven't cleaned, or reasssembled it yet, so I'll update when I'm done.

Roodski

Cadet

Did a complete service on the carbs. The top two looked clean, the bottom one with the missing bolt had some dirt and an insect in it. Started up and idled beautifully on the muffs, but the problem is not solved. While trying to plane off, it acts as if I have too much load in the boat, then it finally planes off and runs normally after that. I've tried hitting the keyswitch primer and also squeezing the fuel hose pressure bubble (doesn't go flat) when this happens, but neither affects it.
One thing I did forget to mention however, is occasionally it will increase rpms while at cruising speed. This last time out, I was cruising around 4200 rpms when it decided to rather quickly increase to 5900 rpms, so I throttled back to 3000, then re-accelerated up to 4000 and the problem subsided.
Each time I use this boat, I'm driving 25 miles. These problems occur no more than once each trip, and sometimes not at all. I still haven't tried the alternate fuel supply. I run a fair amount of gas (treated) through this boat, so I doubt there's water in there, but maybe debris.

Any more ideas?

Roodski

Cadet

Thanks for the tip jonesg,
I'll check that out and report back.