Why ask iboats members which boat to buy?

Jeep Man

Commander
As long as I have been an iboats member, I have wondered why people ask others which boat to buy.... until now. When I wanted a boat, I pretty much knew what I wanted. This weekend, my cousin asked for help in finding a suitable boat. I have a pontoon boat and she wants a bowrider. My experience doesn't take me far, other than what you guys have put on the forum. So, I bow to your expertize. Here are the requirements:
-New, nearly new, or late model with low hours
-$20-25k including trailer
-Bowrider
-Swim platform
-18'-19'
-Room for two adults, two early teens and a few friends on occasion, comfortably
-Inboard/outboard
-enough power to ski, tube or wakeboard. What size motor?
-Bimini top
-Dock cover
-fresh water use
-Built to last with proper storage and maintanance
-To be serviced by qualified mechanic only

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Why ask iboats members which boat to buy?

A Baja, of course! :D Seriously tho, the 202 Baja Islanders are really nice.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

You cant go wrong with SeaRay. Check the reviews...

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And at least a 22 ftr.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok......hers my two pennies.

a 17-19 footer is great for a first boat.

either a 3.l or a 4.3. personally as a first boat i would have the people choose the 3l for ease of maintenance.

you will never go wrong with a searay....ever.

however....some of our guys here have tested the new bayliners and are impressed.....these people are very trusted and know what they are talking about....it they were S**T, they would tell us.....

the best is to search tashasdaddy's post on buying a boat....and really take it to heart. ask yourself some serious questions about the post....that will eliminate 90% of the possible boats out there, then the short list can be posted here.

cheers
good luck

haulnazz15

Captain

I say nothing less than a 4.3L, but preferably the 5.7L. While Bayliner may perform as well as some others, the fit and finish items are always lacking significantly unless you really don't care. Find a 3-4 yr old boat in your price range. A 20' bowrider is normally certified to carry 10 people or so, but with more than 6 people + gear/coolers it starts to get cramped.

Aside from that, any brand will do the job, it's just a question of what items you want and how much you want to pay for quality (gelcoat, upholstery, stainless steel fixtures, etc).

sheridon

Seaman Apprentice

You can get a 2010 Sea Ray 185 Sport for about $25k out the door. :)

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll also say get a Searay. Figure out how much you want to spend and then pick the one that fits in your budget. The best thing about a Searay (and a good reason to stay away from even a well built Bayliner) is the ease of resale. For skiing and wakeboarding, I would not get anything smaller than the 4.3l. I don't think you'll find something from SR with the 5.7 in your price range, but if you can up the limit and get one with it you'll love the boat even more.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A modern 17-19' bowrider is too small for what you need, IMO. Remember, a late 80's 19 footer is more like the 21 footers of today as far as space inside. A 21-22 is fine, LOTS of good brands, so anyone who starts their advice with "You should by Brand X" needs to think more broadly. A 4-5 year old bowrider that was well made can be like new if it was cared for and stored properly. Garage kept is best.

I guess I'd say 20-22' with a V8, maybe a duo prop would be nice as well. Again, lots of brands, but a few good ones at reasonable prices are Searay, Regal, Crownline, Chaparral and quite a few others. Bryant and Cobalt are top of the line and likely out of the price range.

haulnazz15

Captain

A modern 17-19' bowrider is too small for what you need, IMO. Remember, a late 80's 19 footer is more like the 21 footers of today as far as space inside. A 21-22 is fine, LOTS of good brands, so anyone who starts their advice with "You should by Brand X" needs to think more broadly. A 4-5 year old bowrider that was well made can be like new if it was cared for and stored properly. Garage kept is best.

I guess I'd say 20-22' with a V8, maybe a duo prop would be nice as well. Again, lots of brands, but a few good ones at reasonable prices are Searay, Regal, Crownline, Chaparral and quite a few others. Bryant and Cobalt are top of the line and likely out of the price range.

^ Speaks the truth.

cheryl199

Cadet
Re: Why ask boats members which boat to buy?

One thing I will say is get the biggest boat you can for the money you are willing to spend. I think most people wished they got a bigger boat, and after she was on your pontoon she will find a 18 or 19 foot boat a bit small.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I'm pretty happy with my Monterey 18 footer. It is my first boat, and I bought it when I thought i knew exactly what I want. Now I'm just living with the shortcomings and loving the perks.

The 4.3L is a great engine, me thinks...boat does about 50 and I feel that it's very good on gas. You aren't going to find many 19 foot or smaller boats with anything bigger. Keep in mind that you vary in HP from the 3.0 carbed to the 4.3 EFI. I think you start at like 135 HP with the carbed 3.0 and work up to 220 with the EFI 4.3. We have the carbed 4.3 and like I said, it seems adequate. Would i be fine with a little bigger or a little smaller? Probably. If I got out for a full day, which usually is a lot more swimming and a lot less driving, I'll probably use $20-25 in gas for the day.YMMV. ;)

Monterey. Seems top notch. Recessed SS cleats, really nice vinyl, good features like iPod connection and Sirius radio. Nice and heavy for a lil guy, with a deep v, produces a very decent ride.

We went with vinyl floors instead of carpet. We thought about the snap in carpet and our dealer convinced us to try it for a year without it and see if we would want it. We don't. floor doesn't get slippery, and it's like cleaning the shower when you need to.

We don't have a swim platform or a wakeboard tower. Would like both, but honestly will probably buy neither.

I have the 'sport' seating, which means there's two little jump seats on the side of the engine, which can be raised up to make the swim platform bigger. They work pretty well, and it's nice that I can remove one and leave it out and stick a cooler back there, depending on my friend-count.

I can fit 2 comfortably in the bow, driver and passenger up behind the windshield and 2 in the back. There is another seat, but if you have someone sit there, they have to sit sideways, as their knees would be touching the person in the back. So 6 is really quite comfy, and 7 is possible. Boat tag says 8, but that 8th person would have to sit indian-style on the floor or in the bow facing backwards...not a very good spot either way.

Here's a few pictures of the interior layout:
IMG_6762.JPG

Interior%20Rear%20View.jpg

The list price for this boat, with the vinyl floor, upgraded radio, trailer with brakes and LEDs, upgraded engine, Sirius radio, Stainless package, etc, was $33K and some change. We walked out the shop for $18.5k and the taxes brought it right to $20k.

Now, sometimes I've said to myself, 'Self, I'd've liked an extra foot or two'. But you can't really go by feet, as someone suggested before. You really have to look at layout. For example, this boat in a 19 foot variety wouldn't give you anymore USABLE capacity. Sure, you'd have a little more walking room, but you wouldn't have any more seats. If you jump up to a 21 footer with a bench in the back, then we're talking.

Also, sometimes I say to myself, 'Self, I would have liked the bench seat in the back instead of these goofy little jump seats'. Sometimes I even agree with myself! But, that really cuts off usable floor space, and a smaller boat with a little extra walkaround room is really nice...especially when you're just hanging out relaxing and swimming.

Anyway, that's my advice. We'd never even heard of Monterey before we bought this boat...but fit/finish and all, I'd put it up against anything. It's nicer than the equivalent Crowline in my opinion, I like it better than the SeaRays I've seen. It has a great warranty, and it's made in America by a small company, which I like.

Good luck! :)

ripler

Cadet

I originally went looking for a 18 foot boat because that's the size I thought would fit in my garage and be affordable, after looking at Sea Ray, Bayliner, Chaparral and Seadoo 18 footers I realized they were way too small and not enough storage. I started to look for a larger boat and finally decided on a Yamaha SX210, this thing is big, holds 9 people, huge swim deck, tons of storage, safe jet drive and best of all Yamaha is offering 2.9% financing on new boats, so unless you are paying cash you may be able to afford a new boat for less than a old one.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Your statement: 'Room for two adults, two early teens and a few friends on occasion, comfortably' to me puts you out of the 19 foot range into the 20+ foot range. Comfortably is relative but in my 18+ footer, the few friends part wouldn't work. Keep in mind sport seating or standard seating as well. I have sport seating which in my case means a full bench seat in the back and two captains chairs. Sport seating eats up a lot of floor space on smaller boats. If your in the 20+ foot range then unless it is a light or entry level brand of bowrider you will be pushing the outer limits of a v6 putting you into V8 territory. As for brands, there are so many and some are more regional than others. Here, the prevalent ones I see are Bayliners, Sea Rays, Glastrons and a few more expensive brands. Several of the Glastron dealers closed a couple years back around here as well. My point being someone will likely mention a brand that you will rarely see. Personal opinion will also play a role in brands people suggest. I was at the Sea Ray dealer last week picking up supplies and the Sport 175 and 185 are starting to make some strides but still not even close to their 20+ foot models where they start to add premium features. They also quit making the 195 the dealer said. My point here is that some boat brands build and equip all of their boats regardless of size with the same premium layout/materials. Sea Ray admittedly is not one of them. To me one of the things I look at is the dry weight of the boat. The heavier the boat the better the ride and sometimes the more premium the boat for a side by side comparison. Interestingly, Bayliners have added a lot of heft over the years. Another brand that I really liked but are almost non-existant here is Monterey.

Jeep Man

Commander

Thanks for all the input fellow boaters. Love the Monterrey, but I have to say I've not seen one in these northern waters. Most common around here for her needs are Bayliner, Four Winns, Glastron, Sea Ray, Chapparal, Chris Craft, Larson, G3 and Tahoe. I'm favoring the Sea Ray 195 with the 4.3 or 5L. Nearly new here looks like it would be $32k but state side could be picked up for low to mid 20's. What's you input on this pick? Your further suggestions are very appreciated.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I'm favoring the Sea Ray 195 with the 4.3 or 5L. Nearly new here looks like it would be $32k but state side could be picked up for low to mid 20's. What's you input on this pick? Your further suggestions are very appreciated.

You can't go wrong with a Sea Ray... very nice boat that will last a very long time.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I think most people wished they got a bigger boat,

Its human nature I guess... I had an 18 footer, wanted to go bigger and go faster.... so we bought the Hammer. But after owning the Hammer for a couple months, I wish I would have bought something with twin engines, like a 29 Baja Outlaw. :D

cribber

Lieutenant

I have a Glastron GT-185 with the Penta 3.0l and it's fine for the two of us and starts to get crowded with more than 4 people. You definitely want at least a 4.3l v6 and go another foot up from the 18'-19' range. Just make sure the tow rig is rated for 5000 lbs. Around here in central Florida we have a lot of Glastron, Tahoe, and Sea Ray boats for sale at the various dealers.