2007 Honda 50hp 4 stroke

Pontoo-n boat

Recruit
I'm having an issue with a 2007 Honda 50hp 4 stroke. It maybe has 20 hrs on it. Starting is a little rough and has to idle @ 2100 rpms for a few min. It runs great at full throttle. However when pulling the throttle back to idle (prop still engaged) for taxing to the dock, it dies or runs rough. This is very fustrating when I'm tring to go from fwd to rev and the darn thing dies. I've put a new fuel filter on and run fuel treatment every time I fill it up. Could this be a valve adjustment? Or a carb adjustment? I bought it used and the guy said that I would be very pleased with the preformance, which I am but.... it is very fustraiting when I'm trying to come in to dock and it dies. Forgot to add, after it's warmed up good and the prop is NOT engaged it purrrrrs very nice. it's just when I put it into gear is when it dies. What I've been doing is starting it in neutral @ high idle and then jumping it into gear, however I'm afraid this might cause damage to the lower unit. Any suggestions? Thanks

Tig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2007 Honda 50hp 4 stroke

When it "purrs very nice" what is the RPM? It should be about 950RPM
I would lay off on the fuel treatment. Not a great idea to run it all the time. Buy higher grade fuel if you want to pamper the engine.
I don't think it would be valves. I would focus on the carbs. Carb adjustment and or balancing should be checked. If idle, adjustment and balancing are OK, then I would say you have a dirty idle circuit in one or more carbs. That can happen to these carbs if fuel is not drained at the end of the season.
The Honda service guide is about $80 and is quite good.
After the carb adjustment and balance mine starts much better.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

99.99 percent its the carbs ..... before you pull them off to clean try the quick clean with carb cleaner and the little red tube that comes with the can . I posted complete inst on this way back.

good luck

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

99.99 percent its the carbs ..... before you pull them off to clean try the quick clean with carb cleaner and the little red tube that comes with the can . I posted complete inst on this way back.

good luck

I know this is a bit of an older post but I'm having this issue and wondering if you could forward me the link on the clean you did? Thanks.