Mercury outboard 35hp

joe spencer

Recruit
I have a 35 hp outboard 1976...I have spark from one coil and not the other. I swapped coils and know the coils are good, not sure but it looks like it has a cdi on the top of the motor with several wires and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this outboard ???

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercury outboard 35hp

I know that Merc 35hp was only produced from 1963 to 1969, and then again from 1984 to 1989, so your engine can't be 1976. Could you please post the engine serial number and we can then work out what year it is. There are massive differences in the engines, particularly the ignition system, so no advise can be given without knowing the correct year....

Chris.........

Blevins

Seaman Apprentice

ya id have to side with chris on this one. The two differences are night and day for distribtuion on sparks. I mean advice can be givin for both as i know the older motor was habitual for poor distributors and spark issues.

joe spencer

Recruit

I know that Merc 35hp was only produced from 1963 to 1969, and then again from 1984 to 1989, so your engine can't be 1976. Could you please post the engine serial number and we can then work out what year it is. There are massive differences in the engines, particularly the ignition system, so no advise can be given without knowing the correct year....

Chris.........

Thanks for the response...The serial number on the Mercury 35 hp outboard is 0A988915.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

OK, that's 1986....

If you swapped the coils and they are both good, the only other things that can cause the lost of one spark is the switchbox....

Chris......

joe spencer

Recruit

OK, that's 1986....

If you swapped the coils and they are both good, the only other things that can cause the lost of one spark is the switchbox....

Chris......

Okay thanks...do you know were the switch box is located on the motor, the only thing on this motor is on top in front of the fly wheel with several wires on it, the switch box I see on the internet appears to have a three wire harness on it (switch box # 7452A8)