keys trip

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got back from spending a few days in the keys. Learned an awful lot. Was always turned off by all the businesses on the road from MARATHON up so I always stayed from BAHA HONDA south. Dont have a trailer or tow vehicle so we were restricted to the beaches and bars. Never got around to renting a boat, dont really know why.
This time was different. Friend who is an O/B mech. started working at a marina in MARATHON and has access to a nice MAKO with twin MERCS. We went out to SOMBRERO LIGHT where there is a real nice reef. On the way out we went thru water 40 ft. deep and I could still see bottom. Reef was fantastic, first one I have ever seen. Excellent place for those considering diving or snorkeling. We had snorkeling equip. but I am skinny, cant float, sink like a rock so I had to be satisfied with viewing from the boat. It is a no-no to anchor at the reef but the govt. has bouys set up, maybe 30 that you can tie to. All the bouys were in use when we showed up but people are nice and will offer to let you put a rope on their boat. Saw up to 4 boats strung out from one bouy. If you plan a trip down there, sure recommend a trip out there if you dive or snorkel. Quite a few businesses make up to 3 trip a day all out of MARATHON.
Also got to see something up real close that has always interested me. The steel RR trussel with the highway on top at BAHA HONDA. Hard to see how it is still standing. Some I beams are rusted clear thru. That concrete on top has got to be heavy. Lots of signs warning not to get to close. We normally stay at a place called PARMERS on little pine but learned that there are some nice places right off the highway. Was always put off by places right off the highway but learned that the properties go way back off the road . Stayed at a place called BANANNA BAY across from the HOME DEPOT. Nice place, $88 a night regards FRED

Mr_Shamrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: keys trip

Very nice! I have a lot of memories down there. I am born and raised right there in Homestead so the Keys was a frequent weekend trip destination. I moved 4 years ago and it is what I miss the most!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Fred, i will be going the 23rd of August. we rent a house on Little Torch Key for the month, then take a week per family.

Parmers is actually on Little Torch Key, not Little Pine. when you go to Parmers, you cross the bridge from Big Pine, and turn right to get to Parmers, to get to the House we rent, You would turn RIGHT on the same street.

it is a small world. i do very highly recomment, that a person take the Strike Zone dive, snorkeling trip. http://www.strikezonecharter.com/

we did it our first year, and now venture out to the reefs in our boats.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, I always get confused with little torch/ pine. We have to get out of DODGE labor day weekend to avoid some people and will be staying at PARMERS sept 4 thru maybe 7th. You going to be around then? Will need some company at BOONDOCKS. I like that place since its a short drive back at night. FRED

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, i have to be back to reopen the shop, the 30th. My sis and bro n law, their kids and kids friends, will be there, thru the 11th. but they are more home bodies. spend all day on the water, then a couple of drinks and games, and off to bed.