water in outdrive

ritewing

Cadet
A guy recently gave me a 1977 stingray w/mercruiser 140. I removed vent and fill plug in lower unit and nothing but dirty water poured out. Prop housing has about a 4" crack in it, from the end inward. I am going to disassemble and see what goes. Is this crack repairable or will I need a new lower housing? I don't know if he hit something hard or what. Prop looks good and all. I now know why he gave it to me!

Attachments

• stingray02.JPG
    stingray02.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 0

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water in outdrive

Sounds to me like what he gave you was his old headache!!

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

If its been sitting full of water, its trashed. Cheaper to buy a new one...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

New one.... Here at iBoats they do the SEI drive, $1395 for the whole thing!!! and with a 3 year warranty... By all means pull the other one apart, but all the gears and bearings are going to be rusted....

Chris......

ritewing

Cadet

I figure that too! But for free I could not pass it up. The trailer alone is probably worth $ 500.00

NHGuy

Captain

I think they just put out a flyer for a sale on the SEI clone alpha's for $1195! Not bad for a drive that's 2500 rebuilt OE.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you get the boat working for $1200 then you are one lucky man... I spend that a year to keep mine running!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A guy recently gave me a 1977 stingray w/mercruiser 140. I removed vent and fill plug in lower unit and nothing but dirty water poured out. Prop housing has about a 4" crack in it, from the end inward. I am going to disassemble and see what goes. Is this crack repairable or will I need a new lower housing? I don't know if he hit something hard or what. Prop looks good and all. I now know why he gave it to me!

Not that it matters, but Stingray started in business in 1979. You have a Marquis.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The drive is trashed. Before doing anything else you ned to HONESTLY evaluate the rest of the boat. Is it worth puting ANY time or money into?

ritewing

Cadet

If you get the boat working for $1200 then you are one lucky man... I spend that a year to keep mine running!

I have ,so far got about $125.00 in boat, w/battery,starter and oil and filter.
The motor runs fine! I don't think it has more thn 100 or so hours on it.
The guy I got it from, has been in his family since new. He hit something w/lower unit and trashed bearing carrier and retaining nut. Other than that it needs a new bellows and a little weld job on prop shaft housing.
If things don't work out, or if it gets too expensive , I might have a boat, motor, and trailer for sale!
In worse case, I would sell motor, sink boat and add an axle to trailer and make a fine utility trailer:D Maybe!