Boating "Incident"

Hi there,

I am fairly new to boating and want to ask the masses on proper ettitquette. I was recently out with my family on the boat and had the boat tied up along the dock near a launch. While I was tied up waiting for my wife to go get the truck and trailer, a lady operating a pontoon boat was attempting to load her boat onto another trailer. It seems she was having problems and in her attempts at getting her boat loaded on straight she backed up...way up...and put a six foot scratch down the side of my painted boat (which I owned for all of two days).

Without so much as a word, an apology, or anything this lady loaded up her pontoon boat and drove off. My wife (wide eyed by this point) chased this couple down and approached the couple who tried to deny any wrong doing.

Long story short, I obtained their contact details and requested they pay for damages. The quotes I have received so far suggest it will cost about $900 to fix the damages. Having said all of that, I've been told that "rubbing is boating" and that I should expect a certain amount of damage, etc., from other boats. However, am I out to lunch expecting these people pay for the damage they caused to my boat? If I were to hit another boater I would feel compelled to pay for the damage...it just seems right. But is boating ettiquette different? Please let me know your thoughts.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating "Incident"

Hi there,

I am fairly new to boating and want to ask the masses on proper ettitquette. I was recently out with my family on the boat and had the boat tied up along the dock near a launch. While I was tied up waiting for my wife to go get the truck and trailer, a lady operating a pontoon boat was attempting to load her boat onto another trailer. It seems she was having problems and in her attempts at getting her boat loaded on straight she backed up...way up...and put a six foot scratch down the side of my painted boat (which I owned for all of two days).

Without so much as a word, an apology, or anything this lady loaded up her pontoon boat and drove off. My wife (wide eyed by this point) chased this couple down and approached the couple who tried to deny any wrong doing.

Long story short, I obtained their contact details and requested they pay for damages. The quotes I have received so far suggest it will cost about $900 to fix the damages. Having said all of that, I've been told that "rubbing is boating" and that I should expect a certain amount of damage, etc., from other boats. However, am I out to lunch expecting these people pay for the damage they caused to my boat? If I were to hit another boater I would feel compelled to pay for the damage...it just seems right. But is boating ettiquette different? Please let me know your thoughts.

I think your well within your rights to get compensated. 900 dollars of damage is significant, it isn't like she tapped your boat and put an scuff on it that could be buffed out.

just my 2 cents.
T

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If someone bumps you, and causes no permanent damage, then yeah, a little rubbing is ok. If someone put a scratch like you describe in my boat there would be hell to pay. And my boat is not even that nice.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Her negligence caused your damages and you are entitled to compensation. If you are insured, file a claim with your insurance company and make them subrogate the matter.

marinebucaro

Cadet

Rubbing is boating...When you are tied up to someone, out with bumpers. Then you both under the realization that boats may rub together. Even a little tap/scuff happens once and again, but a $900.00 scratch on a brand new boat or even an old one is simply unacceptable.
This is coming from a guy who had 4000..00 in damage when another boater plowed into my port side leaving a nice gash in my fiber glass. It was an accident and at least noone was hurt. His insurance paid for it all and where the damage is at least I can still enjoy the season and have it fixed at the end of season. So right now I am literally driving around with a band aid over the whole to help her heal!:p

Gulfcoasters

Seaman Apprentice

Her negligence caused your damages and you are entitled to compensation. If you are insured, file a claim with your insurance company and make them subrogate the matter.

That is the way to handle it. You will have to pay your deductible but when they recover the deductible will be refunded to you.

Same drill as someone hitting your auto and driving off and/or having no insurance.

greekfreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

File the claim, thats an awful expensive scratch. I would...