motor question

erc91

Recruit
We have a 91 Ercoa 22ft pontoon. We bought it 3 years ago and really like it. The only issue we have is we use it on the Mississippi River and the boat has a '91 40hp Johnson. The motor seems a little undersized for our situation. We also have 3 boys who are getting interested in skiing / tubing. We mainly use the boat for fishing / crusing.

We've though about getting a newer, bigger motor but are concerned about putting a new motor on an older boat.

Would we be better served to try and sell our current boat "as is" for a newer boat with a bigger motor or putting a newer, bigger motor on our older boat.

*The boat is rated for up to a 90hp motor*

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: motor question

IMHO, if the budget will allow, you should sell what you have and buy a used boat to serve your purpose.

But, I would not hesitate to put a 90 on your current boat if it is in good condition and you like the boat.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sell and buy a newer boat & motor package.

There are a lot of good buy's out there and for what a new motor will cost it will almost pay for an entire new rig.

Mr_Shamrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree unless you stumble upon a great deal on a good used motor. It's really hard to believe the prices of new motors.

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Besides the cost of the motor you will have up to $1000 in other necessary items, new controls and cables, tach to match, system check guage, etc.

robert graham

Admiral

Keep your good, older, dependable pontoon rig, and buy a good used boat for skiing, tubing, fun with the boys. They'll grow up and be gone one day and you'll think, "man I wish I had kept my old pontoon boat for my geezer years".

SigSaurP229

Commander

Sell The 40hp makes sure transom is still solid and upgrade the motor, buy a good solid used motor put a 90 hp. I would think 40 is WAY underpowered for that boat anyway

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One other option, that I have used and really like, is to buy a 16 or 17 foot aluminum deep v with a 90 on it (prefferably the same brand you have now so the controls swap out). Swap the motors and resell the v hull. The 40 will still push it along OK and you should be able to recoup most of what you layed out for it. You'll have to invest in some props for both boats but you can get them on ebay and sell the old ones for about the same price as you pay.

Right now is a good time to buy because the season is over half gone and boat prices will always fall after the 4th of July. If you can hold on to the rig with the 40 on it until Spring it will bring more then.

I also like the idea of a second fish/ski boat, and keeping the 'toon for relaxing on. A 15 to 17 foot I/O with the smaller 120 to 140 HP 4 cylinder engines will pull a skiier or tube real well and not suck down gas like an outboard.