Water on spark plugs

pljb1974

Recruit
I have two things going on with my 1974 150hp merc. One is i have water on the tip of #4 and #5 spark plug. Not a lot. The motor runs good, just dont know what to do about it. The other thing is there is no power off the distr for #3 and #4. I start the motor and as its running i can pull the wire off #3 and#4, it just keeps going sounds the same to. Can some one help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Water on spark plugs

2 problems... Water on the plugs is BAD.... The engine needs the exhaust inner jacket gasket replace, soon. Second problem... 3 &4 not firing, is probably the carb feeding those 2 cylinders... strip and clean it while the powerhead's off for the exhaust jacket gasket.

Chris........

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Change the crank seals in the lower end cap as well, when you have the powerhead off. use new Orings and reinstall any shims you find.

pljb1974

Recruit

thank you for you help. Is this something that i sould try my self our sould i pay some one. I rebilt the carbs and rewired the motor as well as resealed the lower unit. money is almost out.

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class

pull the powerhead off, there are two endcaps on the crankshaft, one upper and one lower. remove those and change the seals in them. check the crankshaft bearings while you have the endcaps off, if they are damaged or rusty then they should be replaced but isn't easy to do, that should be done by a machine shop as they have to be pulled off and pressed back on without damaging the crankshaft but hopefully yours will still be good ;)