Sylvan 190 vs Tahoe Q4-Fish/Ski

cajun_rig

Cadet
Need some advice on which boat will be better built, handle better and overall hold up better. Anyone have any preference, please let me know.

Need a fish/ski model that can be used for pleasure cruising the canals with family & friends, and also able to run a lake (gets rough at times) to my favorite fishing hole. I have not yet had a need for pulling a ski or board. My 2 options are below....

>2003 Sylvan 190- Fiberglass hull, 19'2", 3.0 mercruiser, dry weight 1,700lbs, 37 gallon tank, live well, trolling motor and all bell and whistles.

>2004 Tahoe Q4 SF- 19'5", 4.3 mercruiser, dry weight 2,062, 23 gallon tank, live well, trolling motor, etc.

Both boats have same options, same seat config....the sylvan is actually 6k less and both are in good to excellent shape, BUT the 3.0 mercruiser kinda is the only drawback....any feedback or advice??

Thanks,

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sylvan 190 vs Tahoe Q4-Fish/Ski

I looked at Tahoe Q4's and Q5's in the SF arangement this spring. They are an entry level boat, and quality shows it. Just opening hatches, moving seats, etc - they are cheaply made. They don't have the best reputation for their hull construction - but I don't have any direct experience other than looking at the dealer showroom. Also, just to be aware - in 2008, the q4 was downsized from 19.5 to 18', and is now only available with the 3.0L. The Q5 is now what the Q4 was.

I don't know anything about the Sylvan.

Only other thing I'll add, neither will be the best in rough water. Not that that would stop me (I went with a Procraft 200 Combo F&S - terrible in rough water). For rough water, you want more weight and deeper V than either of these.

That said, either will get you out on the water, and allow you to fish and play. Which ever you choose, you won't look back! Good luck with the decision.

ziggy

Admiral

i know nothing of either boat. but a year or so ago (maybe2) here on iboats someone did a long write up on their tahoe. it had a stringer break free from their brand new boat. caused him a lot of grief. if i remember right tahoe did make it right but not after much tado... since reading that thread. i wouldn't consider a tahoe even though i like the design of the boats...

if ya use the search function here on iboats, ya might be able to find the thread. it was a long one with lots of comments..

cajun_rig

Cadet

Thanks guys for input.....any opinions on the difference in motor (3.0 vs 4.3 merc)? Because of price difference, leaning towards Sylvan , but really not sure about this smaller motor.

jkust

Rear Admiral

My take is that both those boats are way too light. My 18 footer weighs over 1000lbs more than the Sylvan and that is how you will get a nicer ride in rough water. Those weights alone tell me those are lightly constructed boats read constructed with cost saving in mind and all those cost savings entail. Now with that said I am not an advocate of a 3.0 but with such a light boat in the Sylvan, I'd bet the 3.0 will do ok. What I'd do if I were you is to test each with a realistic load and see what you like. I'd take a 4.3 every day over the 3.0 but that is just me since I own a 4.3 now. Tahoe's are actually nice looking boats but that is as much as I will say about them. Not every Tahoe owner has had negative things to say. Why don't you post some links to each and we can weigh in even more.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I personally like the aluminum fish/skis better than the fiberglass ones. The glass ones (with a couple of exceptions) look to me like someone slapped a trolling motor on a ski boat.