newbie.....with questions

river critter

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,
I have a 1995 22" Crest II WITH A 2001 75 HP MERC 4 stoke (with carbs) running a 14 x 11p prop.I did have a 1983 90hp 2 stoke mariner till it got really ill :eek:.I haven't got to run the new motor yet due to work.

#1 Can I expect about the same performace upgrading by 30 years and going from 2 stoke to 4? IF not what can I expect.

#2 This spring we had the seats looking like new after having the cover on it for a month now the seats are mildewed again. Is there anything to keep it from coming back?

Thanks

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: newbie.....with questions

Hi guys,
I have a 1995 22" Crest II WITH A 2001 75 HP MERC 4 stoke (with carbs) running a 14 x 11p prop.I did have a 1983 90hp 2 stoke mariner till it got really ill :eek:.I haven't got to run the new motor yet due to work.

#1 Can I expect about the same performace upgrading by 30 years and going from 2 stoke to 4? IF not what can I expect.

I doubt if you'll notice an increase in speed but the overall performance will certainly be improved.
#2 This spring we had the seats looking like new after having the cover on it for a month now the seats are mildewed again. Is there anything to keep it from coming back?

Dehumidifier or fan. Mildew occurs in dark, moist areas with little air circulation.

Thanks

Good luck

river critter

Seaman Apprentice

Got to run my new motor yesterday. It was nice having a motor that idles like its suppose to :rolleyes: The river was down quiet a bit most of the time I was running in about 4-6 foot of water. This is the first four stroke I've ever had they are quite so far so good.:cool: I've never had a motor with power trim so....

Where is the best to run the motor I played with it while running up river and got the bow up so it wouldn't plow ??

IF I was to hit a log or a stump will the power trim give or will it stay solid?

The real test will come Monday when we go to Lake Norfork for a week.:cool:

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congratulations on the 4-stroke.

Trim doesn't do much for a pontoon but as you experiment with it, you'll probably find a comfortable setting. With a light load, I can usually trim my bow up and gain 1 to 2 mph with no increase in RPM's.

The tilt won't give if you hit a stump and something will give if you hit one hard enough.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I was standing in a Suzuki shop the other day and there was a guy there getting advice on his power trim/tilt. To make a long story short he dragged his motor, while the boat was still on the trailer, through the dirt. Now the tilt/trim motor spins but the tilt/trim does not work. One of the bits of info I heard was that the motor has a pressure release (maybe it was called a bypass) so that if the motor did hit something the fluid had somewhere to go.

I have no personal knowledge (need to look at my parts diagram) and YMMV, but maybe there is some sort of pressure relief/bypass.

Looking forward to hearing more on this.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you are talking about the pressure relief bypass valve that you turn with a screwdriver. If the trim motor is not working, you can turn the valve so you can raise or lower the motor by hand.

If you hit a stump or rock hard enough, somthings gonna break.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, they talked about that too, as the guy actually undid some lines to get it to move, as he did not know about that method.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hey Critter, I'm taking mental inventory of all the NE Arkansas rivers at the moment. Which one are you running your barge on?

river critter

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Critter, I'm taking mental inventory of all the NE Arkansas rivers at the moment. Which one are you running your barge on?

We run the black and current rivers and take it to lake norfork.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

We run the black and current rivers and take it to lake norfork.

Thought you might say Black, but I didn't know the Current had any water deep enough for a barge. I grew up in Jonesboro, so I've spent an hour or two on Norfork.

river critter

Seaman Apprentice

Thought you might say Black, but I didn't know the Current had any water deep enough for a barge. .

we grease the sides of the toons to so we can slide by other boats and the bank :D

Current river can get hairy at times with the trees ,stumps and shallow water thats why I had asked about hitting things with power trim. I have run it for a couple of years in a fishing boat so I have a good idea about it.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

we grease the sides of the toons to so we can slide by other boats and the bank :D

Current river can get hairy at times with the trees ,stumps and shallow water thats why I had asked about hitting things with power trim. I have run it for a couple of years in a fishing boat so I have a good idea about it.

Nice. Have fun out there and jump off of Big E for me some time.:cool: