1994 Glastron SSV 175 Steering Problem

I would like to start by apologizing. I'm a new boat owner and don't have everything down. I have a 1994 Glastron SSV 175 with a 3.0 liter Mercruiser. I've noticed that the steering is a little stiff. The boat will turn it's just stiffer than I would like. It has rack and pinion steering I believe, single tube under the dash with one cable going to the out drive. Is there anything I can do to make it better without replacing the cable or complete steering system? I've can't find any grease certs or places to oil on the steering system. Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1994 Glastron SSV 175 Steering Problem

Ayuh,... The Odds are, it's corroded where the cable passes thru the aluminum tube at the drive,...
Remove it, clean it, 'n Grease it there...

If that don't fix it, Replace the cable,+ helm...

Again, sorry for the dumb question but is there anything special about removing the cable? Anything to watch for to prevent damage or just unscrew it and clean away? I really appreciate your help.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Disconnect the pin from the end of the cable, then the big nut on the other end of the aluminum tube, then pull the cable out...

Pretty straight forward deal...

Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention that while out of the water or at slow speeds, in no wake zone, it turns fine. Only gets stiff when I throtle above idle speed. Does that change anything?