86 Four Winns 190 Prop Help

snkbite46

Cadet
I just purchased an 86 Four Winns 190 Horizon, with a 4.3L 2bbl / alpha drive. The prop is gone, so I do not have a reference to start from. The marina thought that it originally would have come with a 14 1/2" dia 19 or 21 pitch. I am less concerned about top speed and would like to have a better holeshot to pull up a skier. I also can not afford SS, so Al it is. Does anyone have a similar boat that can suggest prop specs that work well for them.
Thanks

pfatyol

Recruit
Re: 86 Four Winns 190 Prop Help

I have 1986 horizon 19 with the 4.3L 4 barrel (205 hp) - The prop that was on the boat was a 14.5 x 19P. I have read that the 4.3l came with a 14.5 x 17 from the factory. The 19P works well, I get 41 mph at ~4600 rpm.

Hope this helps.

pat

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would try a 19 and see if that gives you your results, most important is not to over-rev, 4500-4600rpms on your motor.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I just purchased an 86 Four Winns 190 Horizon, with a 4.3L 2bbl / alpha drive. The prop is gone, so I do not have a reference to start from. The marina thought that it originally would have come with a 14 1/2" dia 19 or 21 pitch. I am less concerned about top speed and would like to have a better holeshot to pull up a skier. I also can not afford SS, so Al it is. Does anyone have a similar boat that can suggest prop specs that work well for them.
Thanks

ESSENTIAL DATA REQUIRED
When posting a question about propellers, you cannot get a reasonable answer unless you provide the following information in your post: Items 1-4 are essential for meaningful response to most questions.
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct.
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless and as a minimum.
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required).
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful)
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ESSENTIAL DATA REQUIRED
When posting a question about propellers, you cannot get a reasonable answer unless you provide the following information in your post: Items 1-4 are essential for meaningful response to most questions.
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct.
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless and as a minimum.
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required).
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful)
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight

Great questions there, however in this case, all useless, as he stated he doesnt have a prop on it, not 2, 3, 4 are a no go as no way to get that info.

He stated what he would like (1) and 5 and 6..

snkbite46

Cadet

Tail_Gunner. I had read the sticky prior to posting and was reluctant to do so since I did not have the required info. I was really just looking for someone with a similar/ same boat, or enough experience propping a similar boat, to give me a good starting point.

Pfatyol and Borchik - Thanks for the input. Would I be correct to assume that with a 19P the max RPM's would be lower than pfatyol's (same boat w/ 19P) since he has 20 HP more than me?

pfatyol

Recruit

Pfatyol and Borchik - Thanks for the input. Would I be correct to assume that with a 19P the max RPM's would be lower than pfatyol's (same boat w/ 19P) since he has 20 HP more than me?

Maybe, couple of reasons.
I have not verified my Tach yet,
my prop is not in the best shape when I checked last month
I may of not been properly trimmed out.

Bui, The speed was per GPS.

According to the manual redline for my set up is 4400 - 4800 rpms.

I would go with the 19P, and see if you need to change from there.

Best of luck

Pat

snkbite46

Cadet

When I started this thread, I did not even know what diameter my prop had been, so I appreciate the quick help. I will be ordering a 14 1/2 X 19P.

Pat - I sent you a private message.

Thanks,
Jim