Opinion Needed On A 1979 8hp Chrysler

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I have a boat I want to buy that comes with a 1979 8hp Chrysler. It is listed on ebay and the seller says it was last run 2 years ago and ran great then. I asked him to check the compression for me and to put some seafoam in with fresh gas for when he tried to start it. He said he'd get to it but I doubt he actually will. I just need some opinions on this outboard and any info like parts availabilty, how easy are they to work on, etc.

I actually sold the boat to the guy on ebay bout 4 years ago so I know exactly what it is worth and I just need an assesment on the motor so I can be prepared to go just a little higher than the value of the boat alone. Thanks.:)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinion Needed On A 1979 8hp Chrysler

Nice little engine, based on the 9.9 design, BUT lower unit and props are smaller and will not interchange. Depending upon condition, it can go for anywhere from 25 up to 250-- guys on ebay tend to overbid and 250 is actually too high; 125 would be more in line.

I bought one years ago for 25 bucks because the marina did not want it and did not know its condition. All it really needed was a pull cord and it ran well. SAved my butt later on when I snapped a prop shaft on the big engine. Got me back to the ramp without a tow.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

That's good to know. The boat is "buy it now" priced at $750, which is $200 more than I sold it for. I actually probably sold it for a lot less than it is worth so it might be a good deal for the price even if the motor wasn't good. I would go and test the compression myself but it's located just a little too far away for that to be worth it. I'll probably take the chance on it.

And any other comments are still welcome. Feel free to input on similar years, hp, and chryslers in general.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

The auction has only 3 days left. Still looking for any input.

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My pontoon has a 77 10hp Chrysler and it sat for over three years. It started on the secound crank on old gas with a fresh battery. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuelines and impeller. It pushes my 20ft toon around the lake just fine. We boated all last weekend on four gallons of gas. I was going to sell it and put the Merc 50 off the wifes boat but I think I may keep it the way it is. I had another 20ft toon last year with a 50 and it was twice as fast but ran through the gas five times faster. I think the sleeping 8 would wakeup fairly easy. I say, I buy your old boat back and enjoy.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

My pontoon has a 77 10hp Chrysler and it sat for over three years. It started on the secound crank on old gas with a fresh battery. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuelines and impeller. It pushes my 20ft toon around the lake just fine. We boated all last weekend on four gallons of gas. I was going to sell it and put the Merc 50 off the wifes boat but I think I may keep it the way it is. I had another 20ft toon last year with a 50 and it was twice as fast but ran through the gas five times faster. I think the sleeping 8 would wakeup fairly easy. I say, I buy your old boat back and enjoy.

Thanks crazyinkc. Really appreciate the input. BTW, know any Kessler's out there?

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The name sounds familiar. We moved out this way a year ago from Overland Park. I have several co-workers that live in town. I will ask them. We are about a mile and a half southwest of town so I don't know very many townies ;)

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

Oh cool. They are actually pretty scattered. Some in Ottawa, Gardner, Olathe, Paola, Osawatomie, and KC. They boat and fish at Hillsdale. I'm from Alabama so don't see them too much nor am I positive as to where they all live now. Thanks again for the advice on the motor.:)