Best Performance prop for Stingray 180 RX

CB1955

Recruit
Just bought a Stingray 180 RX. With the Wife and I it takes off ok but add any more passengers or attempt to tow a tube/knee board it becomes a DOG (no hole shot). I am sure that a better selection of prop would take care of the issue...When you go from adrift to WOT it only jumps to 2500 RPM until we get up on plane then with a little trim adjustment will max out at 3800-4000 RPM.

Currently running a 14 1/4" x 21 Pitch...All suggestions welcome...

Thanks and Happy Boating.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best Performance prop for Stingray 180 RX

Welcome,I don't usually comment when posters leave out most of the real info.
I think you set a record.If you read the stickies at the top of the page and the helps on the prop store page it will help you understand prop selection better.
We need to know the year and type of boat I/O, outboard?horse power/3.0 etc. prop size,max rpm and speed with a light load.Typical load when tubing?

CB1955

Recruit

Steelespike, Appreciate the feed back...or quick response anyway...LOL...I will definately look at the prop page for some additional help but...

Here is the additional info as requested:

Year and type of boat: 2007 Styngray 180 RX
I/O / outboard: I/O
horse power/3.0: 3.0 Volvo Penta (135 hp)
current prop size: 14 1/4 x 21 Pitch
current max rpm: 3500 - 4000
current speed with a light load: 42mph
Typical load when tubing: 2-3 pax 300-350 lbs onboard
Tuber(s): up to 300lbs

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your speed seems ok but your rpm seems low.Could be speedo error or the tach may be a little low.You might want to verify the tach. maybe get the speed by gps.I feel that a 21" prop should produce 4400 to 4600 rpm. Is the motor in good tune,throttle plates opening all the way? Bottom clean and smooth?
Assuming the tach is right a 19" prop would add "about"300 to 400 rpm and improve your hole shot. A 17 about about 600 to 800.
Normally a 17 would be used for skiing with the caution to watch the rpm.

CB1955

Recruit

Thanks Steelespike...Appreciate the info...with all the research I have done, I have come up with roughly the same conclusion...I am going to get out again this weekend and do some final test runs to aide any decisions.

On another note, do you recommend a SS or aluminum?

Thanks again...

CB

nate1220

Seaman

SS gives a little better performance, aluminum is much cheaper and will be more forgiving should a prop strike occur.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Pretty much my thoughts^ I would only add that while the ss can improve overall performance it could vary from a few tenths to several mph.There are some excellent al props for about $100, ss can be over 300.

CB1955

Recruit

Steelespike you still out there?

Here are the results...with 2 people at WOT I maxed at 3800 RPM. With 5 people in the boat it went exactly the same...even the top speed was the same...just took longer to get up on plane (which is my original concern). So my thoughts are decreasing to a 19 for everyday use when the wife and I are out putting around and a 17 for watersport activities whne the kids want to play.

Thoughts / comments?

Thanks again...
CB