Need help with my controls

big al 72

Cadet
I have an old 1959 mercury 58a non elecrtic moter with the old two lever Quicksilver remote . As luck would have it both handles had hair line cracks on them just above the casing and they both broke off .I do have another control unit but it is a newer shifter/throtle with the tuck away fast idle.Is it posible to use this one on my boat with minimal effort and keep my cables because they are good,or will i have to change my cables or will i have to get a new control box. Iam new to the boating world and could really use some advice ... thanks in advance Alex

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help with my controls

If the later box is a MerControl style for motors 35hp & up, then it should work - at least as far as cable throws go. Whether or not you can use the earlier cables with the later box depends on the cables. If both boxes use cables with removeable ends and you have the proper ends for both boxes, then you might be able to swap them around. Otherwise you'll be getting a new set of cables for the later box. Not a huge deal - cables aren't terribly expensive. Only thing you'd have to do is add the t-pins from the earlier box to the new cables as they don't come with them...

big al 72

Cadet
Re: Need help with my controls

Thanks a bunch ,now i just have to find the connector parts to retro fit the cables. If i have any other questions ill ask thanks again