control cable length?

brindle_bull

Cadet
i have a 73 850 merc outboard and i am trying to get it all hooked up and i am lacking the cable(s) that run from the control box to the shift on the motor and was just wonderin if anyone might have a pic of how its hooked up to the motor....or if someone could take a pic for me it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: control cable length?

The shift cable is the lower cable at the motor. it has a plastic barrel nut that fits into a clamp, in the front port side of motor. The cable end fits onto the shift slider. The cast aluminum peanut-shaped device on the shift slider track swivels to capture the cable end.

The throttle cable is the top cable. it's barrel nut fits the top hole in the clamp. The cable end bolts to the throttle arm, attached to the distributor.

It sounds like you need a service manual to adjust the cables and link and synch the motor.

brindle_bull

Cadet
Re: control cable length?

one more question on the matter... are those cables going to be that same exact one just two of it?.... because when i look em up to order there is only one control cable available in different lengths.