Gamefisher 3.0 hp info needed....

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just picked up a 3.0 hp sears gamefisher today for $40 for "parts" as the guy said it would turn but not run.

Brought it home, compression tested and it is @ 150 psi. Great spark. Cleaned fuel bowl, filter screen, shut off valve. Fille with pre mix and fired right up. Really runs good to tell the truth.

Now, this is air cooler, but I have had air cooled motors before that have water pumps. Does this have one???

How do you change the gear oil?

It is M/N 298-586190 and S/N D03735 9 Anyone know the year?

Last, the hood is beat up. Where can I get a new one????

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gamefisher 3.0 hp info needed....

Just picked up a 3.0 hp sears gamefisher today for $40 for "parts" as the guy said it would turn but not run.

Brought it home, compression tested and it is @ 150 psi. Great spark. Cleaned fuel bowl, filter screen, shut off valve. Fille with pre mix and fired right up. Really runs good to tell the truth.

Now, this is air cooler, but I have had air cooled motors before that have water pumps. Does this have one???

How do you change the gear oil?

It is M/N 298-586190 and S/N D03735 9 Anyone know the year?

Last, the hood is beat up. Where can I get a new one????

Did you even TRY the search function?:(

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

No I never do. It never seems to yield results that are relavant to the exact information I need. That is why I start a thread when I have a question.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do believe this is built by tanaka.

kfa4303

Banned

Helo Cpt. Hook. I have the same model motor. Runs great but prop won't spin. shear pin is intact. lower end has plenty of oil. vertical shaft from engine to prop isn't spinning, I guess. Any ideas how to fix? Many thanks.

robert graham

Admiral

CaptainHook, I've been running a Tanaka/Sears 3HP for 27+years and they're good little motors, no water pump, centrifigal clutch, very simple to work on. To change the lower unit oil, just remove the prop, 2 small hex bolts holding on the prop shaft plate/bearings/seals/shaft, drain, refill, replace plate/bolts, super easy job. If you screw up that gasket just clean surfaces and use silicone around there to seal it up. Good Luck!

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks Lt. Cmd. Graham. Do you know what type (make/ weight) gear oil should be used? I've hear Marine 90 wt. for other, similar motors. Also, was having trouble with seized verticle prop shaft< but managed to get it out. It was pretty rusty, but cleaned up surprisingly well will steel wool and WD-40. Of course not the motor, which was previously running well has stopped working w/out vert prop shaft in:/ It ran for a bit ater vert p/shaft was removed when I tested it to see if engine still worked. Any ideas? Many thanks to all who take the time to help us newbies out.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

<Do you know what type (make/ weight) gear oil should be used? I've hear Marine 90 wt. for other, similar motors.>

That is correct.

<Also, was having trouble with seized verticle prop shaft< but managed to get it out. It was pretty rusty, but cleaned up surprisingly well will steel wool and WD-40.>

If that fails to heal the original problem it's time to inspect the clutch---may be frozen with rust. (my best guess!)

<Of course not the motor, which was previously running well has stopped working w/out vert prop shaft in:/ It ran for a bit ater vert p/shaft was removed when I tested it to see if engine still worked. Any ideas?>

Another "How high is up?" question! Insufficient data! Working from the data supplied logic suggests that the vertical propshaft is a prerequisite of continual engine operation. Since we know that is outside the bounds of reason you need to dig a bit deeper.

Is it possible that you over-revved the engine without the mechanical load of the propshaft? Or did it just run out of gas? Too many possibilities!

kfa4303

Banned

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I've now given the wole motor a going over, top to bottom. It now has new 50:1 gas, jC8 spark plug, new 90wt gear oil in lower unit. Runs like a champ, but now the lower unit wiggles loose when motor runs for a bit. Only shimmies down about and inch, but that's enough pull prop shaft out of cluth therfore the propeeler stops spinning even though engine is runing great. Prop wil spinn well at high rpm, but only for a few seconds, then lower unit wiggles loose. I've tightened the clamping mechaninsm inthe lower unit houseing around the prop tube, but still wiggles loose. Any help would be greatrly appreciarted. Hope I was clearer this tme. Many thanks.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I've now given the wole motor a going over, top to bottom. It now has new 50:1 gas, jC8 spark plug, new 90wt gear oil in lower unit. Runs like a champ, but now the lower unit wiggles loose when motor runs for a bit. Only shimmies down about and inch, but that's enough pull prop shaft out of cluth therfore the propeeler stops spinning even though engine is runing great. Prop wil spinn well at high rpm, but only for a few seconds, then lower unit wiggles loose. I've tightened the clamping mechaninsm inthe lower unit houseing around the prop tube, but still wiggles loose. Any help would be greatrly appreciarted. Hope I was clearer this tme. Many thanks.

OK! Now we're getting somewhere.

Sounds like excessive wear caused by being ran loose too long. The vibration caused by high harmonic frequencies is a very efficient friction that eats up soft metals such as cast aluminum. It seems you inherited someone elses foul-up.:(

1st thing to do is to determine if it can be jury-rigged by the use of shim stock. If not then you'll have to figure out which parts are worn out and replace them with good used parts or new from TanakaUSA.

Were it me I'd start a quest for a 'parts motor'! (oops! I just reviewed your 1st post:eek: Well----er---he didn't lie to you!:D)

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks Tom. I think I will try a shim or set screw kind off set up. I think it can be fixed ultimately. Otherwise the engine is awesome. Amazing what good gas, spark plugs and TLC can do. Thanks again to one and all who have helped me on this. I'll be sure to post an updated when I get it worked out.

petervankooij

Recruit

I picked up an inexpensive gamefisher 3 as well, great info here! I need to first clean the carb, as it's been sitting for 4 years. i don't have a service manual and can't seem to locate one. How do I take the top cover off? The only screws I see are the ones that seem to hold the austomatic started recoil, and I'm afraid as soon as I loosen these parts will start flying around.
Also, the propeller spins freely, that's not good I think, as there's no neutral to these engines?

Thanks for your feedback!