Q. about sharp turns & outboard coming out of water

americanidle

Recruit
I am new to this forum ... and became a first-time boat owner back in June this year (2010). I purchased a 2010 Hurricane Sundeck Sport 188 - comes with a yamaha 115hp outboard.

Our boat is docked on a fresh-water lake in Cape Cod. The lake is virtually free from weeds.

Having never operated a boat before, it was a bit daunting to have the dealer deliver it and spend a couple of hours explaining things (mostly on getting back to the dock!) ... and then leave.

One of the main things I took away from the brief tutorial, is the position of the trim. I keep it at the marked level on the dial ... which I assume to be about 3/4 down. I was told that if you put it the whole way down, it effectively tilts up towards the hull of the boat ... and that's not good unless you understand the effect and use of this trim position (which I do not!).

I rarely exceed 28-29 mph ... limit is 30mph on the lake anyway. The children are keen on tubing (which frankly freeks me out!). They finally persuaded me to trip 'whipping' the tube ... which we achieved by turning in fairly tight circles and a figure of eight. Sometimes going over our own wake. Most of this activity was done at 15mph, and not more than 4000 revs.

Question> I was completely freeked out by 2 things: When turning sharply the nose of the boat seemed quite high - like it was no longer on the plane (?) ... and it suddenly sounded as if the propeller were out of the water and sucking air. An odd gurgling sound.

Of course, I immediately slowed to close to idle speed ... which slackened the rope on the tube and it almost slipped off - my husband noticed and grabbed it. Double Freek!!

Can someone please explain what's going on? Should I really not be turning that sharply? I am a little scared to try and repeat it ... and am looking for someone knowledgable on the pond to come out with me and recreate it. Is there a magic way to tie the tube to the tubing pole (aside from the way you are instructed to tie it) that would remove the possibility of it becoming detached.

Please help!!

Sue

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Q. about sharp turns & outboard coming out of water

I think before doing any more tubing you need to take the boat out and play with the trim.Trim is there for a reason so you can get the best performance with different conditions,speeds and loads.While you may use extreme positive or negative trim at some points it will bvecome obvious what works best.Very generally as you slow you would trim in(down) prop closer to the boat.this will help keep the bow from rising as much
When doing your tubing trimming in will help stay on plane and reduce any venting issues.Moving passengers forward may help keep the bow from rising.Move one and evaluate the result. When running at speed lets say 28.by adjusting trim you may find you can make speed with less throttle.usually trimming out improves speed.
Trim a little at a time until it becomes obvious you are at the ideal trim.Again
passenger and gear placement can make it easier to trim.Trim can also be used to adjust for rough conditions usually trimming in will lower the bow and as you reduce speed stay on plane easier.As you practice turns you will notice that it behaves differently in a left and right turns. if I remember right you will lose more speed turning left than right turning left goes against the prop rotation.
Not a problem just something to note.If you go in a straight line on plane say 20 to 25 a gradually go from postive trim(out) to negative trim.You may not be able to trim all the way out or in at some speeds.the idera is to get the idea how trim affects the boat.Please feel free to ask any questions.