Mercruiser outdrive noise

Chris Fleitman

Recruit
Hi guys, I have a 1997 Mercruiser Alpha One I/O. When I'm out on the water I hear a somewhat loud sound coming the outdrive. It sounds sort of like a skateboard speeding down the street. I can find a sweet spot when I'm trimmed down where the noise is not as loud, but the noise is still there. When I trim up, or make turns, it gets louder until I straighten out or lower the trim to the sweet spot. It doesn't sound right but I saw a forum at a different website saying it was normal. I'm not too convinced of that. A friend told me to grease the fitting in the upper drive. I will try it but not sure it that's a fix. The unit is filled to the fill-hole with oil (not milky, but the old owner might have replaced the oil so he could sell it). If it's a gimble bearing or U-Joint, how much should I expect to pay to have it fixed? Thanks in advance.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser outdrive noise

Sounds like a bad gimbal bearing to me...

Do a search on gimbal bearing replacement. Lots of info on here...

scipper77

Commander

check your power steering level also. might not be the issue but worth a look.

Chris Fleitman

Recruit

Thanks guys. I'm figuring it to be the gimble bearing. I'm just wondering what about it would cost to have it repaired by a professional. I'm good with tools but I'm not sure if I should be doing the job myself.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking more a long the lines of a bad u joint since it does it when youre trimmed up or turning. Gimbal bearing could also be the problem but I would think it would make a noise all the time. Suppose it has some more side to side force on it when the drive is turned or trimmed up though.