Water in gear case!

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice
While draining my gear case lube, I noticed a lot of water that came out of the gear case drain hole. I would say that about half of the fluid that came out was water and the other half was grey colored pasty water contaminated oil. Also, the water that came out was very clear looking.
My motor is a 2005 Suzuki four stroke (df 200).
About 200 hrs ago I had my prop shaft seals replaced and the gear case pressure tested (pressure good). I have changed the oil once since then and there was no water then. I have not noticed any problems with engine performance and that is why I am surprised about all that damn water!!!
At idle and neutral (out of water with the muffs on) I can hear a faint rattle coming from the lower part of the motor...
Any ideas????? thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water in gear case!

Sounds like you may not checking the lower unit oil often enough, and hopefully it is not salt water that was in there. All you can do is check it out and see what you find, but does not sound good.

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

I thought that every 100 hours was good. I have put over 1400 hrs on this engine since i bought it brand new. I have always changed the gear lube every 100 hours and have never noticed any water in the lube....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Does not take much to loosen or pull the bottom screw just enough to make sure the oil looks good and no water runs out first. You can pick up fishing line any time and wipe out a seal

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

do you really think that it is a seal??? Last year when I had my seals replaced the tech noticed that one seal the rear seal was missing and the front seal was torn a bit...but I had only a small amount of water contamination.
I know what I should have done thank you...from now on I will check the fluid more. I was never educated by anybody about doing that before and doing it that often.

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

I was told that the last person who changed my water pump impeller may have done it incorrectly and water is being pumped into the gear case. So, since my motor will be out of warranty soon, I am going to do it myself. Also, how difficult is it to dissasemble a gear case in order to inspect it myself??

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Best thing to do is to pick up a service manual for your motor if you plan on working on it yourself, or even if you do not. At least you can read up on it and then decide if you want to tackle it yourself. If it has had water in it for a long period of time, it may need to have rusty rears and bearings replaced, which maybe more than you are equipped to do. But the manual will explain and tell you what tools are needed and then you can decide.

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

thank you for your help sir! Just ordered the suzuki manual.

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to give everyone an update, just in case one of you ever has this problem. It turned out to be a bad drive shaft seal that was causing the water to get into the gear case.... a lot of water! It has been fixed and pressure tested and I have put close to 200 hours on it since with no issues and no more water in the gear case....

Mr Den

Recruit

Does not take much to loosen or pull the bottom screw just enough to make sure the oil looks good and no water runs out first. You can pick up fishing line any time and wipe out a seal

Is it hard to replace the seal? I just discovered fishing line has destroyed mine. 2000 DF70