150 XR2 "lazy" throttle.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello again,

sorry for the multi posts on this engine. Couldn't find anything on this topic in the search feature.

I had her hooked up to the pipe after installing the oiler block off kit this morning, and had a solid 15 minutes of idle time. after assuring things were looking ok, the engine was sounding right, and the impellar was continuing to do it's job, I decided to vvvrrrreeeep, the throttle one time. What i noticed was an almost "four-stoke" like throttle response. Not what I expected from the two stroke at all. It really seems that the response was "lazy / slow". I'm thinking a link and sync may be in order? I have my original set-up manual, and the original maitnence manual, but couldn't find anything on link and sync. Just curious if someone could give me the run down on this procedure or if it sounds like this could be my problem. Maybe a timing issue? Just not the response I get from the Evinrude looper 150. It is running wide Open as soon as i tap the throttle. The Merc Just slowly creeps up in rpms, not the instantaneous jump that I would expect. . .

Is the engine running properly? I may just be used to something different.

Welcoming advice.

J Hartman

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 XR2 "lazy" throttle.

No, It should rev up in neutral real easy. You need a service manual, as the lnk and sync procedure is there.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What is invlovled with link and sync?

Superjetjim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also check your inline and fuel pump filter are clear. May need a diaphram and check valve refresh in the fuel pump. Mine revs up instantly and sounds amazing..

Also pull the high end jet screws and check none of them are blocked (this can be done easily with the carbs in place) Just look for the large bolt with a screw slot cut into it on each carb. To check undo each bolt, then insert a small slot screw driver and remove the jet, check its clear and refit. Shouldnt take more than 30 mins to do all of them.

Cheers

James

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also check your inline and fuel pump filter are clear. May need a diaphram and check valve refresh in the fuel pump. Mine revs up instantly and sounds amazing..

Also pull the high end jet screws and check none of them are blocked (this can be done easily with the carbs in place) Just look for the large bolt with a screw slot cut into it on each carb. To check undo each bolt, then insert a small slot screw driver and remove the jet, check its clear and refit. Shouldnt take more than 30 mins to do all of them.

Cheers

James

I just rebuilt the carbs, so I know they are clean, as well as replaced all the fuel lines, and filters.

I have not checked on the situation of the fuel pump. Maybe I'll crack it open and take a peek.

I found the synchronizing timing procedure for the engine. Should I check into that before opening up the fuel pump? Or would one assume, if it was correct once, the timing would still be correct?

Superjetjim

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just rebuilt the carbs, so I know they are clean, as well as replaced all the fuel lines, and filters.

I have not checked on the situation of the fuel pump. Maybe I'll crack it open and take a peek.

I found the synchronizing timing procedure for the engine. Should I check into that before opening up the fuel pump? Or would one assume, if it was correct once, the timing would still be correct?

Sorry - I cant help you with the timing, I would change the check valves and diaphram in the fuel pump. Mine displayed similar symptoms to your before I did this a couple of weeks ago. Basically fuel starvation..

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry - I cant help you with the timing, I would change the check valves and diaphram in the fuel pump. Mine displayed similar symptoms to your before I did this a couple of weeks ago. Basically fuel starvation..

The engine had old rotten, well let me emphasize, OLD , ROTTEN , gas in the carbs which is why i tore it all down to begin with, Maybe the pump itself is varnished up as well?