115 Mercury Thunderbolt rotor stuck

SherilBurton

Recruit
The rotor on my 115 Mercury Thunderbolt is stuck and broke when trying to remove it to check points. How do I remove it? Not sure of year of motor but think it is around 1976.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 115 Mercury Thunderbolt rotor stuck

I got some bad news,the rotor on theses motors do not come off they are part of the shaft.These are kinda hard to come by and are not cheap.I for one havent taken them apart for the reason of the price.I shopped e-bay and got a complete distributor for the same price of the shaft.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with Gomer. It's just about easier to find a working used distributor off ebay than get into the pain of trying to disassemble the unit as it is not easy. Clams Canino on ebay usually has a good, tested working used one for not much more than the price of a new rotor itself.

I'm pretty sure that ignition system does not have points..

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

If its a 1976 they didnt have points.You should have if I am not mistaken Type 3 Ignition Distributor C.D. Ignition (pointless) "Capacitor Discharge"

SherilBurton

Recruit

Thanks for the replys.. I will go home and look up the serial number and make sure of the year of the motor. Looks like I have some shopping on e-bay to do.