Custom kayak

rich63

Recruit
I AM POWERING A 14ft KAYAK WITH A TROLLING MOTOR IN THE AFT COMPARTMENT OF THE BOAT. THE MOTOR WILL BE MOUNTED INSIDE THE BOAT. I HAVE DESIGNED A MAGNETIC COUPLING FROM THE MOTOR TO THE DRIVE . I WILL NEED A S/S SHAFT, SEALS, FLANGE, BEARINGS, etc. AND A PROP SMALLER THAN THE STANDARD TROLLING MOTOR PROP FOR THIS TO WORK. I HAVE LOOKED AT MANY WEB SITES BUT CAN'T FIND WHAT I NEED.I CAN WORK WITH ANY SIZE SHAFT FROM 3/16 TO 3/8" BUT WOULD NEED HARDWARE TO GO WITH IT. CAN ANYBODY HELP WITH ME WITH THIS?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Custom kayak

Is this an electric trolling motor as you might normally mount on a fishing boat?
Could you post a sketch? you'll have to use a host site.

rich63

Recruit

the trolling motor is a standard 36lb trust Minn Kota. I will need a shaft of about 7-8" to extend outside the rear of the boat. by the way, this is not a standard kayak, it is a Passage 14 by MAD RIVER. it is a canoe/kayak. the trolling motor is going in the rear storage compartment on a special mount I have designed.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As far as I know the Minn Kota motors need to be submerged for cooling.
As far as seals A large compression fitting with pipe threads on one end.
It might also serve as a support.You would have to replace the ferrel with a graphite or teflon packing.Old straight inboards had what looked like a compression fitting with a flange so it could be fastened to the end of the shaft log.
Do you intend to flood the area where the motor will be?
You could fit the shaft inside a piece of stainless or brass/bronze water pipe
secured in the boat with a fitting threaded on to the out side end near the prop it could serve as a support as well.
If it was mine I would modify the mount and hang it at the very back of the boat with some sort of minimul steering rig like they used to use in the late 1800s or early 1900 on sailing canoes. If you want a stock look a vertical pipe in the compartment with the shaft of the motor inserted up through it and secured With a single stop you could have almost 360 degree steering.Have you given any thought to where your going to place the 40 to 50 lb battery you will likely need,or are you going with NiCad or something?