1993 Bayliner Capri ?s

DareDog

Seaman
buddy has a 1993 Bayliner Capri 20.5' with v6 mercruiser. wondering what the stock carb that came on it was? looked like it was changed at some time.. bought the boat last June (2009). having some issues with carb and starter. it takes it a while to start even when pumping it dosent mater if its warm or cold. had the carb rebuilt this yr still dose it. also this past weekend was at beach on the lake and park there for over 1 hour and half and there was a lot of water in the boat what could have caused that? the motor was up.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 Bayliner Capri ?s

my 5.0 had a quadrajet but you might have the mercruiser engine. then i dont know what they came with. Mine is OMC. As for water in the boat, if it doesnt have an automatic bilge pump, put one in. You have a leak somewhere, most likely in the outdrive via a cable bellows or something and it needs to be fixed. Also check the exhaust manifolds for leaks, sometimes its just a simple gasket that gets old and starts leaking water into the boat.

How long is a while then?
It might just be that it takes a few tries before the fuel is sucked into the engine.
Mine often takes a few too, sometimes with choke and sometimes without.
Sometimes I can skip the choke but need to put some throttle on in neutral gear.
Are we talking seconds or minutes?

The water - did it suddenly just take in big amounts of water or could it have been coming in slowly over days?
A little water is completely normal but if it starts pouring in so you need to pump every day then you have a serious leak somewhere.

Most common is that the sealant around one or more of the holes in the boat needs to be redone, but it could also be a rubber gasket somewhere that has ruptured or folded somehow.

It's not difficult to fix yourself though.
Just get the boat out of water and get some sealant goo.
Scrape of the old ones and put on new.
Examine any gaskets.

If you get a lot of water in you could be able to find the leak when you lift the water filled boat from the sea - it will leak out the same way it got in.

DareDog

Seaman

it takes a few minutes for it to start. it was less than 26 hours in the lake. and there wasn't any water in it. it was within 2 hours it was full the motor was up the whole time

Wow, that is way too fast.
And I guess you can't see where it comes in either?
Maybe if you could let it fill up, dye the water, then pull the boat out and see where you get the colored water coming out.
Would that be doable?

DareDog

Seaman

thinking its the bellows need to be replaced on it?