Warning signal Engine oil

Jack Snodgrass

Recruit
1999 - 115 HP Mercury - my Engine warning buzzer <a continuos signal> went off on the water and continues a day later to buzz when the key is on. Engine was only warm & not hot - water pissed out the port - so I disconnected the wire and brought it home at low speed - nothing seems to be amiss. The oil suppy shows a normal amount of oil was expended for the trip.

When a sending unit goes bad - how do you replace it? I see the two wires to both but can't see the units. Can it be they require to be reset? Also can a loose seal at the oil container filler cap <a little oil had leaked out> cause the alarm to go off since I'm told it's under pressure to force oil into the fuel.

Jack Snodgrass

Recruit
Re: Warning signal Engine oil

I've repaired my problem - The low oil sensor at the bottom of the oil tank was bad - and as it turned out - so was the float assembly inside the tank - the magnet which activates the sensor had come detached from the float - so a new sensor & and a new tank - and all is okay.

I read someone's post on this or another forum which gave a test to see if the ring magnet had come loose - turn the tank upside down - and if the warning buzzer goes off - you know the problem

pikerpiker

Cadet

Your warning signal on your oil is a beep beep beep beep not a continues beep that is your temp warning . Hope that helps

Jack Snodgrass

Recruit

The operation manual shows only one signal, a continuous one & two sensor; one for low oil & another for overheating. I?ve followed both wires; the overheating wire from the backside of the engine & the low oil sensor from beneath the plastic oil tank - going forward to the cockpit - to one high-pitched screaming electronic device ? activated by a wire to the ignition.

williat

Recruit

Hi guys,

I am having the very same problem on a 1999 40Hp Mercury/Tracker. Continous, ear piercing beep when the ign. switch is turned on.
Should I remove the oil tank and look for the mystery magnet/float assy?

Thanks in advance for any direction.

Williat

williat

Recruit

I went out and disconnected the sensor wires and no more annoying tone.
Now,
Is there a way to ensure that I am oiling?

j_martin

Admiral

I went out and disconnected the sensor wires and no more annoying tone.
Now,
Is there a way to ensure that I am oiling?

Replace the sensor (tank) and hook it back up.