Pontoon Quick Release trolling motor mounts

fastmnstealth

Recruit
Hi,

I've got a pontoon (22' Bennington - 2275GSI) that I'd like to install a trolling motor mount on. I've been looking at the Minnkota V2 70PD.

The question is about the quick release mount. I want to install the TM by the bow door, but we use the bow door all the time. I have a ~14" deck in front of the bow railing. Can I have the TM offset..away from the door?

My layout

171940_d_t_135x165_image01.gif

I've been looking at the following brackets:

MKA-16-02 Quick Release Bracket

Stubbing toe on a sharp bracket as you are diving in does not sound like a lot of fun.

RelatedImage.aspx

MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket
RelatedImage.aspx

This one seems like the ticket, but I've read that many are having problems with getting the mount to lock (pin too tight) especially with carpet. Is this true or isolated cases.

Any others that I'm missing??

Thanks,

Mark

crappie14

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Pontoon Quick Release trolling motor mounts

The composite MKA-21 is what I am using. I invested in a Terrova I-pilot and bought two brackets where I could swap motors between my two boats, bass and pontoon. Be sure to mount where you have room to remove the locking U pin but it goes on tight and has been used a couple of months now without issues. The small rectangle mount has not created any issues entering or existing from the pontoon.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are concerned about the MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket sitting to close to the carpet, you can always get s small section of corian or similar material and place under the count. You will have to use longer mounting bolts because coran is 1/2 inch thick.
I had to add the corian because of the ribbing around the edge of the deck was just high enough that the mount would not mate up properly.
As mentioned already, make sure that you have clearance for the locking pins to slide in and out with out interference from the gate or railing.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to use 1/4inch thick aluminum shims under mine due to the carpet thickness. I used SS 1/4X20X2inch boltswith locking nuts & it worked out just fine for me.

fastmnstealth

Recruit

Thanks, sounds like shimming is key to get these mounts to work over carpet.

I ordered a Minnkota PD70 54" today. Now for the charger, batteries and all the other stuff that costs as much as the TM!

Mark