super light tongue weight

Jegomes

Cadet
:confused:Hey I was just wondering how much weight should be on the tounge of the trailer, with the boat fully loaded the tongue has no more then 10 or 15 pounds on it. The trailer is configurable so I can move the axle to the rear of the trailer quite a bit, I am just wondering how much it should weigh so I have a number to aim for. The boat is a 17ft Reinell with 150hp merc on the back, I honestly have no idea of the total weight. But I have to do something as it is jumpy as hell going down the road.

any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: super light tongue weight

Wow, that is really light and certainly would contribute to a jumpy trailer behind you.

You should have about 10-15 % of total trailered weight on the ball. Figure boat, motor , trailer, fuel, coolers, gear, etc. into the equation.

NADA has guides for the boat weight itself.

Happy axle moving!- :)

Shrike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you should have at least 100 lbs on hitch.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats

Too little tongue weight can cause the trailer to "wag" (sway) behind the tow vehicle.

You might have to move the winch post forward or even move the entire axle assembly. Regardless.... you need more tongue weight .

Did this boat come with the trailer? Is this all new to you?

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would put a rough guess of your whole rig at 2500 lbs...you should shoot for 250 lb tongue weight.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would encourage you to fix this before you take it on the road again, as this can be VERY dangerous. I almost crashed going down an interstate years ago hauling my drag racing car on a flat bed trailer because of too little tongue weight. I had failed to pull the car up on the trailer far enough and as we crested a hill and started down towards a bridge over a river, the trailer took control and was driving my truck towards the median (an ultimately into the river). The more I hit the brakes (no trailer brakes), the more it took me towards the median. Something clicked in my head to floor the gas pedal and once I did that I was able to get control back and as we started back up hill I could safely get it slowed down and to the shoulder. That was one of my lifetime near death experiences and so I don't mess around with tongue weight anymore... ever.

tburda

Seaman

I BELIEVE it's a 60/40 ratio. 60% infront of the axle, 40% behind the axle. I'd have to look it up. But if you've ever noticed a semi truck trailer, their rear axle has a pull pin, they pull out and lock the brakes on the trailer, it allows them to move the axle forward or backward 6-10 feet. They dont mess with tongue weight either.

Jegomes

Cadet

Yeah the trailer came with the boat and with the records I have on it it looks like the two have been a pair for quite awhile. I was just amazed that I could pick the tounge up with one finger. The winch boom is already forward quite a bit as it is very close to the two vechicle while hooked up, So it leds me to think my only option is to move the axles back, they are on a carrier that is attached tothe the trailer frame with u bolts so it appears that it wont be too daunting of a task. Ill aim for 250 pounds as that sounds like a good load for the hitch.

Thanks for the awesome replies. This is a great site.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shoot for 10%, 2500lbs sounds a little heavy for a single axle. My guess is your around 1500lbs. But heed the warnings dont move it until its fixed up!

oldjeep

Admiral

Yeah the trailer came with the boat and with the records I have on it it looks like the two have been a pair for quite awhile. I was just amazed that I could pick the tounge up with one finger. The winch boom is already forward quite a bit as it is very close to the two vechicle while hooked up, So it leds me to think my only option is to move the axles back, they are on a carrier that is attached tothe the trailer frame with u bolts so it appears that it wont be too daunting of a task. Ill aim for 250 pounds as that sounds like a good load for the hitch.

Thanks for the awesome replies. This is a great site.

Putting a spare tire and carrier on the tounge is an easy way to get a few extra lbs on the tounge as well.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just had a look at mine, the tire are 5.80 x 12" and they are rated for 780lbs each so 1560lbs gross. I figure my boat is about a 1000lbs its a 16' runabout with a 35 on it, I have about a 100 lbs on the tonge.:)

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I BELIEVE it's a 60/40 ratio. 60% infront of the axle, 40% behind the axle. I'd have to look it up. But if you've ever noticed a semi truck trailer, their rear axle has a pull pin, they pull out and lock the brakes on the trailer, it allows them to move the axle forward or backward 6-10 feet. They dont mess with tongue weight either.
Sliding axles on semis is done to make the weight legal for highways. Weight of the front of the trailer can be adjusted between the steer tires and the drivers by moving the fifth wheel. Common weight distribution: 12,000 steer,34,000 drives,34,000 tail. The only time when weight is a handling factor is in the case of a set of double or triple trailers-the rear trailer must be a lighter gross weight than the front trailer,or it can cause the tail to wag the dog,just like a boat trailer with too light tongue weight.

Jegomes

Cadet

Just wanted to give an update. I had today off so I played with the trailer a bit. It took me about 10 mins to move the wheels back 6 1/2" now the tounge weighs about 185 or so. Tows like a dream.

Thanks for all your help guys..

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

10% to 15% is a good "ball park" number for tongue weight.
Sounds like you have got it now .

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Just wanted to give an update. I had today off so I played with the trailer a bit. It took me about 10 mins to move the wheels back 6 1/2" now the tounge weighs about 185 or so. Tows like a dream.

Thanks for all your help guys..

:confused:
I'd love to hear how you did that in 10mins!

when i towed my 16' aluminum boat home the axle was way to far forward, it wagged all over the place.................i ended up extending the trailer about a foot, the max adjustment, and went from nasty old rollers that dont roll to bunk boards. the axle was shot, swapped in a new one, switched from a sideways leaf pack to (2) mono-leafs, new winch, new lights, new tires, pretty much re-engineered the whole damn thing. towing it tommorrow, will let you know how it goes!

Jegomes

Cadet

:confused:
I'd love to hear how you did that in 10mins!

As explained above the the wheels are on a carrier.. it was held to the trailer with 4 ubolts. I slipped cinder blocks under the back of the trailer frame and then jacked the front up.. once the wheels were off the ground. I loosened up the 8 nuts and then moved the axle carrire back 6 1/2". I then used a tape measure to check that the hubs were equidistant from the ball, they were so I tightened up the bolts and put her on the ground. Used a scale to check the tounge... I went from 12lbs to 187lbs.. It was very strait forward and really took no more then 10 minutes including putting all the tools away.. but hey I'm young and spunky :D

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

As explained above the the wheels are on a carrier.. it was held to the trailer with 4 ubolts. I slipped cinder blocks under the back of the trailer frame and then jacked the front up.. once the wheels were off the ground. I loosened up the 8 nuts and then moved the axle carrire back 6 1/2". I then used a tape measure to check that the hubs were equidistant from the ball, they were so I tightened up the bolts and put her on the ground. Used a scale to check the tounge... I went from 12lbs to 187lbs.. It was very strait forward and really took no more then 10 minutes including putting all the tools away.. but hey I'm young and spunky :D

Glad you solved the problem :cool:
I'm old 'n slow :p

when i towed my 16' aluminum boat home the axle was way to far forward, it wagged all over the place.................i ended up extending the trailer about a foot, the max adjustment, and went from nasty old rollers that dont roll to bunk boards. the axle was shot, swapped in a new one, switched from a sideways leaf pack to (2) mono-leafs, new winch, new lights, new tires, pretty much re-engineered the whole damn thing. towing it tommorrow, will let you know how it goes!

towed great!!! very solid!!! i guess it was worth the work.