my stater sticks up pos

JARED T

Seaman
i have a 1984 40 hp johnson motor my problem is when i turn the key the starter engages the flyweel and spins the motor less then a second the motor stops and i just have a sound as if the starters spinning the splines on the starter shaft but the gear to the flyweel just sits idlewont move. i let key go and gear stays engaged to flyweel . motor spin freely by hand,gear on starter moves freely on starter splines.no sticking. is it the starter, battery or solinoid ,or wires.

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: my stater sticks up pos

Sounds like the starter drive (bendix) is about done. Take a look at THIS PICTURE for a parts break down.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

sounds from what your saying the bendix is gone....if the starter is rotating and the bendix is not turning the flywheel while engaged...bendix is gone..just replace the bendix.....

Al

JARED T

Seaman

thanks for the help. i put a new starter on and she fired right up even faster then before. these lil starters are expensive it set me back 272.00 from blue dot.but i didn't want to get a starter shipped to me so what the heck i'm running and its a new starter .