repair failed....boat sinks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
a boat that had just undergone a hull repair sank today in the okanagan lake B.C.

the survivors said the boat started taking on water fast.

it was being towed to shore when it went down.

im waiting for the news to post the story so i can link you to it.....and ill find out who did the repair and how they did it. ( i know most of the repair people here)

if it was a dyi....ill find them and talk to them.

for the most part...if you glass properly you will be ok....but remember.....surface prep is everything....you cant just "add glass" you must prep the surface properly.

ondarvr says "most repairs fail due to the fact that the repair was not prepped properly".
because the repair failed, people say fiberglass is carp !
but in actual fact...when you look at the repair....pull it apart....you find that the bird poop and oil from the bilge were never removed. much less the top layer of wax from the repair area.

ill post more as the story hits the net.

cheers
oops

Triton II

Commander
Re: repair failed....boat sinks

ill post more as the story hits the net.

cheers
oops

Thanks Oops... hope everyone was OK. Looking forward to hearing why this happened. Cheers,

TII

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Any word yet oops ? ( bump )

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

no.....nuthin...YD i have been combing the papers, and on line news....but no news, so im trying to find out what happened thu the industry channels.

on a side note......robj (another iboater that did a great job on his arriva) is here in kelowna.....he was watching a a 20 some footer jet boat using the jet to spray down his buddies on another boat..... doing donuts and just being an idiot....something happened and a wake came over the transom.

rob said the back end went under......the bow went straight up in the air....and down it went. sunk in 32 feet of water.

rob dove in to see if he could help the guys coolers and other stuff was floating all around.
he said the boat went down in seconds.

the good news is that everyone was safe and no lives lost.
but thats what the guy gets for being a jerk !

steve riddell

Seaman

Hey Oops
a couple years ago i was camping next to some drunkin idiots that owned a bb jet boat, it was just starting to get dark when they went for 1 last rip!
they were tryin to spay the people on shore, just showin off, then from a dead stop the guy hit the throttle, the boat moved about 20' then died, the backwash sank the boat in seconds.
I was the only 1 that left my boat in the water, so i went & rescued the 4 drunks & their floating seat cushions. the next morning we went out to were the boat was, it was upside down in about 20' of water they dove in & after several atempts flipped it upright tied a rope to the bow, being stern heavy the bow surficed we towed it back to shore.
they got it back on the trailer, changed all the fluids, 1 of them went to hit the key when i yelled NOOOO, i was watching them closely, they never pulled the plugs!
I shoulda said nothin & let them Hydrolic the motor as after a few hours they were pissed on the water again drivin like cowboys!!
YOU CAN"T HELP STUPID!!:eek:
Cheers
Stever

drewpster

Commander

I boat in part of the river where there is a good bit of commercial traffic. The channels are well marked all up and down this section for miles. Turns out for good reason. I was fishing the bluffs near skull island (locals know it) and watched as a bass boat ran aground on the other side of the river. They were going too fast and way outside the cans. I motored over and offered assistance. No one hurt, but the boat was jammed good. brilliant.

redfury

Commander

Well, like the saying goes "you can't fix stupid"

Sometimes though, people don't always think things all the way through, or they are just having too much fun and safety starts slipping down the priority pole.

I almost ran aground speeding across a lake after dark in a light rain with my 25 hp tin can. Couldn't see for nothing, WOT. The lake was long, but apparently not as long as I thought. You lose your ability to judge distances the darker it gets.

An no, there were no "sody pops" involved either...just a couple of guys having fun night fishing. :p