idle and reverse problems 1989 200 evinrude

braum32

Cadet
My 200 evinrude seems to miss and die at low speed idle and ecpecially in reverse. If I give the engine alot of throttle it will work fine, but when I idle in forward gear the motor sounds like it is missing and will die. It will not do this everytime i am idling, but does this everytime that i am going in reverse. Any ideas what this could be? thanks

Livewire

Seaman
Re: idle and reverse problems 1989 200 evinrude

When the engine dies, does it sound like it sneezed? If it does it may indicate that you have a lean condition, even though the engine may run well once you are at WOT, the high speed jets maybe a little be dirty. I maybe wrong, in looking at the carbs as a whole, if the whole thing is clean it runs great, if one part is dirty, may as well all be dirty.

How long has it been since the carbs had a good cleaning?

Be sure to catch the high speed jet in the bottom of the float bowl, check the TOP SECRET tips

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

for the needed information to make you a screw driver to get the jet out and then back in. The most important part here is NOT to damage the treads for the drain plug on the float bowl.
Plus there is a boat load of info there?
Now with that being said; do you have a FACTORY Service Manual for your year model and size? If you do great, if you don?t stop now and get it, the time that you lose waiting for it to arrive will pay big in the long run with the stuff that if included that is needed.

Read this tread on this matter:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=421041

The next thing to glance at is the trigger wires going to the coils; make sure that each one is routed away from the other coils and spark plug wires.

I have lived these problems, I have a went through the engine with a CLYMER?s manual, then finally broke down and bought a Factory Service Manual off of ebay and had to go back through everything that I went through with the other manual, Clymer?s did NOT cover the small details needed. In less than 1/4 of the time already spent I have the motor running at about 99%. I just wished that I would have gotten the Factory Service Manual sooner...

You may want to do a LINK & SYNC once you get the Factory Service Manual.

Hope this helps?

braum32

Cadet

I took the motor to my mechanic who did an Sync and link. He found a couple magnets missing off of the flywheel and a bad plug wire. Once replaced and timing syncronized the motor runs like a champ..

jonesg

Admiral

missing magnets, damn, theres no end to it.:)
good that you posted back for others to see and learn.