water pump 1999 merc 115 elpto ??

KEVINS800

Cadet
just bought a 99 nitro w/115 merc 4cyl 2+2 engine, runs out awsome, but on lakes with lots of muck and millfoil it overheats> alarm goes off, water still comes out pee hole, let idle and it cools off then it's fine? going to replace water pump but don't know the best way to do this? have done others but on smaller motors> just don't know what all i need to disconect to drop lower unit? on clean lakes this does not overheat? any other info would be great! does anyone know what part numbers i need?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: water pump 1999 merc 115 elpto ??

5 nuts an the lower unit comes off. One is under the anti-ventilation plate just ahead of the fin at the back. The other 4 are obvious. If I remember right they are 15mm. Once those 5 are off a little tap with a rubber mallet should break the grip the silicone has on the cast internal rib. Once off the rest should be obvious. The only trick really when going back on is to make sure the water tube is straight so it goe on the pump correctly. The manual says to put it back together with the lower in forward and the shifter inforward too. I have always done it in neutral and have never had a problem. If the driveshaft doesn't engage, pullit down, reach in and rotate it a tiny bit and it will go. Don't forrget the new bead of silicone on the rib that goes from side to side. Good luck.

KEVINS800

Cadet
Re: water pump 1999 merc 115 elpto ??

got bolts out and tapped on lower unit, it split about 1/16 inch but seems that i need to remove or something to the shift rod? seems the shift rod is holding up lower unit?? maybe i need to tap on it slightly harder?