Leaf Spring length help needed

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I have a 94 Karavan Tandem Axle Trailer, two of my rear C-Hook style leaf spring got rotted and I decided to replace them, I read on line how to measure the spring and the length is app 27", where as my local trailer shop measured and sold me springs that say 26 1/4", when i hooked them up I see that my axle is slightly at an angle (please see the pictures), is this OK? I am novice with trailers, please help and direct me.

Attachments

• Iphone Pics 303.jpg
    Iphone Pics 303.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Iphone Pics 301.jpg
    Iphone Pics 301.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Leaf Spring length help needed

You are looking at just the axle! Look at the equalizer (the bar between the wheels that connects the front and rear springs). Since the rear wheels are not at the same level as the front wheels, the equalizaer must drop the front end of the spring. Dropping the front end of the spring causes the axle to take on a tilted orientation since the rear spring perch is the pivot point. If the trailer was parked so all four wheels were at the same level the axle will be straight.

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Leaf Spring length help needed

Silvertip, thanks for posting your reply, I had the trailer on jacks when I installed the axle and springs, as long as it balances it out I am much satisfied. I still need to add the bearing and wheel to the other side,once done I will move it to balanced ground as compared to grass, will the equalizer balances out without the load? I have a boat that is about 4000lbs approx, and it is in water till end of sep or early oct.