Exhaust boot on Force 125 HP L-Drive/ bogs out in water runs fine on muffs

thejoo

Recruit
New to all this...was looking for some advice...there is a rip in the exhaust boot between my manifold and the outlet for my exhaust...anyone know where to look to replace it and also the motor runs fine on shore but bogs out and dies under load in water...any ideas?...any help would be great

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Exhaust boot on Force 125 HP L-Drive/ bogs out in water runs fine on muffs

Year??? Profile?? Fill them out.Boats.net Go there and find this site.Mercury Force Outboard Parts 120 H.P. (1990 L-DRIVE) 120LD90B EXHAUST SYSTEM Diagram Where is it leaking?? Fix this and your problem should go away.J

BostonDave

Cadet

Hello
I wanted to check and see how you made out with this part? I am also looking for the exhuase boot for my 84 chrysler 85hp motor and am having a hard time finding this part.
Thanks
Dave

92rslt1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dougrussel.com still has them, but they are expensive since they have been Discontinued. they are 78$... If you need the bellows, which is the lower part its $178.

For the upper hoses you can go to your local diesel parts department and look for fire proof intercooler hose. Its 3.68 inches... you might be OK with 3.5 if its flexible enough and will stretch.

If your old one has melted i suggest checking your cooling system

thejoo

Recruit

jerry...its an 89 bayliner, 19ft with the 125 HP L Drive...model num i have to double check...still searching for the boot...ill have to check into that site and see...appreciate the help...found a shop around the corner too so im going to see what he can order...luckily for me the GF's Dad is old school mechanic(not a parts replacer) and is helping me...so is the leak a cause as to why it will run on land but not under a load???...it has about 135 to 145 compression across all 4 cylinders but #4 is not firing(no spark)...he suggested trying the relays before the CD Module....personally i bought it cheap and jst want to run its course learn and have fun...first boat ever

92rslt1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, depending on how bad the rip is it will make it run very bad.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

A manual at the library,most will have it or can get it.Till you buy your own.
It will teach you how to test the pack or stator.Usually if one won't fire and the coil is good it's the pack or stator.You can switch pack around and see if the problem follows the pack.J

thejoo

Recruit

92rslt1...awesome lil advice in the diesel part...soon as i mentioned that to him his eyes lit up lol...its the coupling...and it is a very bad rip...hopefully ill be doing some work on it this weekend...im going to check at the new local boat shop here about ordering the coupler and relay...and plan to have GF's dad show me how to clean and rebuild the carbs...luckily i know enough to know i dont know...ill keep yall informed and prob be asking alot more questions too

BostonDave

Cadet

aewsome thank you

HAY9

Recruit

A manual at the library,most will have it or can get it.Till you buy your own.
It will teach you how to test the pack or stator.Usually if one won't fire and the coil is good it's the pack or stator.You can switch pack around and see if the problem follows the pack.J

i thought the stator was for charging and the cd module was for distributing the spark to the coil at the right time