Best radio/antenna for us

GeorgeN

Cadet
My son and I have an older 16ft Smokercraft aluminum skiff we use for both freshwater and inshore saltwater fishing. We are trying to find a good radio/antenna combo that will be reliable to 20 miles without having to have a tall antenna. Space in the boat is limited and there is no above water structure to put the antenna on. The antenna is going to be the key. What shorter antennas afford the best transmit/receive range for up to 20 miles using a decent VHF radio?

Any help or suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks George Nochta San Diego, CA

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Best radio/antenna for us

Antenna height will be the main determinant of range. Marine VHF is essentially line-of-sight (actually a little bit more, but close enough). If you are concerned with communicating with the local Coast Guard station, whose antenna is likely a couple of hundred feet up, a short antenna will probably work at that range, provided it is of good quality. However, communicating with another boat that has its antenna top maybe 12 feet above the water is another matter. You should figure out a way to mount a quality 8-footer. Our resident radio expert, jherbert, will hopefully be along to fill in the gaps I've no doubt left.

GeorgeN

Cadet
Re: Best radio/antenna for us

Want to thank you so much. We have purchased an 8' Shakespear Mariner 8700 at West Marine and we are now figuring a good mounting area for it. I look forward to the radio expert's opinion as well. Thanks again, George Nochta San Diego, CA